The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are building a feeder where the boards where they put their heads through will be horizontal. So basically only one space the whole way around horizontal that they will eat through, this way anything with wide horns won't have problems... BUT our problem is how wide of a space do you think would be suitable? so we don't have any adults being able to get through and into the hay? We have Boers..

Thanks a BUNCH! Tara

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'd say roughly 2 inches. They just need their snout in there. We made mini hay racks with scrap wood and leftover pieces of welded wire fencing. Works well for us.

And MTJ, I see you chose to use it! Nice :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm ok.. not what we had in mind... I will have to draw a diagram of what we want to do and then take a picture of it for you guys.. We seen a place that has feeders where their heads can go right through so I guess I will have to stop in and ask how wide it is LOL

Tara

·
Registered
92 Posts
Many are shying away from "keyhole" type feeders where the goats put their heads all the way in. This blocks their peripheral vision which they need when one of their herd mates decides to ram them from the side. Which does happen during feeding time.
If I were going to build a feeder I would build one where they can only get their snouts in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not going to be a keyhole feeder and they would have pretty much full view around them. It's hard to explain, when we get it done I will take pictures.

Tara

1 - 6 of 6 Posts