The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to make some new hay feeders. I love the ones made out storage tubs. They look easy and economical. I was just curious how well they held up??? They will be hanging inside the barn out of the weather.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have made feeders out of the blue protein tubs from tractor supply. The plastic is about the same. If your boats kinda push each other around I would say they don't hold up that well. I have a old doe that I have in a pen with another goat that needs a little extra. They don't fight and those feeders have lasted a few months so far. The others for the main herd not so well. Hope this helps ya

·
Registered
79 Posts
I made one out of a storage tub from Home Depot, worked great for the first month before the sides began cracking from the goats pushing on it to get to the good stuff, and a few days later the whole bottom fell out. I have 3 Nigerians and if those little suckers were too rough on it I personally wouldn't use it for full sized goats, but I've heard that others here have used them with no problems.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
That's basically what mine did. I think if it wasn't so wide it would work better. I placed the ones that are holding up more at a angle so the goodies do slide down for them to get. Maybe try 1 and see how it does that way for you but I wouldn't put a lot of money into them. The tubs I have I have about 100 of them so its not a big deal if they break. Another idea again if only a few goats is to use feed bags and cut a circle in them. A friend of mine made a big purse bag thing out of a goat chow bag. She sewed it and is actually fairly hardy. If you can some how cut a hole I the bag and maybe sew it so it doesn't shred that might work out. I've been wanting to try this but time doesn't seem to be on my side

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I just make them out of grain bags, that way if they get ripped or torn no worries, I can make a new one pretty quick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts