The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first goat. We grow fertilized Bermuda grass hay for our cows. They are in round bales. The bales are 5' tall and 5' in diameter. We placed one bale under cover and wrapped a 5' high wire panel around it. The wire squares are 4" by 4". The goats have had access to it for one day and seem to have figured out how to eat it. Will this be ok? We plan to tighten the wire as they eat the hay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Looks good to me but are any of your goats horned? And if so are they small enough to push their heads through the holes? My boers can stick their heads through a 4 inch hole for a long time growing up. And they get stuck in the fences all the time. No, they do not learn. :p. But, for goats without horns, that should work well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could use a 2" by 4" panel but I thought the 4" by 4" would be easier for them to pull the hay through the holes. We don't have any young ones yet so I'm not too concerned about any one getting their head stuck.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That should be fine, make sure they can't get their heads/horns stuck in there.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I could use a 2" by 4" panel but I thought the 4" by 4" would be easier for them to pull the hay through the holes. We don't have any young ones yet so I'm not too concerned about any one getting their head stuck.
Adult horned goats can, and do, get their heads stuck in cattle panels - trust me on this. Some can get their heads out, but some can't and if they are broadsided by another doe it can result in a broken neck. As long as they can get their noses in the holes they can pull the hay through it. As far as little ones go, they can easily go through the squares of a cattle panel until they are about a month old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts