The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a lot to learn when it comes to hay, My goats HATE Prairie hay! But I think they like Bermuda hay.
What kinds of hay does everyone use? I've never given my goats hay over the summer but I plan on starting to from now on. A guy near me has some hay that is Milo and Crabgrass mix is something like that okay for the goats? Do goats like Crabgrass? Another guy near me has Timothy hay that is 725-pound bales for $100 is that a good price for Timothy hay? I know at Atwood & TSC small bales go for $15 but they only weigh 70 pounds.
Any hay info is very much wanted!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Second cutting orchard grass.

Bermuda is ok.

Timothy is ok.

Grass legume mix is usually ok.

Brome and fescue are used sometimes instead of orchard.

In general go for orchard grass.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one in my area sells Orchard grass hay unfortunately, It's all mostly Prairie grass and Bermuda grass with a few exceptions like Native grass and some Bluestem.

What about Bermuda and Timothy hay being fed at the same time?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
No one in my area sells Orchard grass hay unfortunately, It's all mostly Prairie grass and Bermuda grass with a few exceptions like Native grass and some Bluestem.

What about Bermuda and Timothy hay being fed at the same time?
They are going to do relatively the same thing for you. Choose either.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
I feed fescue since I can't get orchard and it's the cheapest option for me.

This might be something you already know from feeding it in the winter, but make sure you have a moisture free area to store your hay. Hay gets moldy very easily so a dry, well ventilated area is a must.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We use orchard grass or general grass hay (mostly orchard grass around here). My goats don’t really like Timothy. When we lived in Mississippi we mostly fed Bermuda and Bahia as that was what was available. My goats like soft hay. Anything stemmy gets turned into bedding.

Be careful with fescue if you have pregnant does. You’ll want to make sure it’s endophyte free fescue if you go that route.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with this, what do you mean by that?
It's a fungus growing inside the seed head of tall fescue that produces toxic alkaloids which can lead to adverse effects such as increased body temperature, increased respiration, poor feed intake, and reproductive problems such as abortion, extended pregnancy, thick or retained placentas, poor milk production, etc.

We have fescue here, it's all over the area. However, I try to avoid feeding hay heavy with fescue seed heads. Endophyte free is a special kind that the farmer plants that does not have the fungus so doesn't cause the toxicity.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,515 Posts
Wow I've never heard of this. Hopefully that won't be a problem for me... I can't really get anything else easily. The farmer I get it from feeds it to his cows and sheep and he doesn't have a issue.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I try to avoid fescue too. Sometimes I'm forced to feed a couple of bales in early spring since it's the first thing cut around here. Most of the fescue around here is the Kentucky 31 Tall drought resistant kind which is not endophyte free.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
All I can get up here in my area is plain old mixed field grass with weeds and saplings.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
We call ours Teft. It is a combination of wild grass, straw and soft weeds. I dont even open the bale actually. Gizmo and Destiny nible on it when there is bad weather but on good days they free browse. So do the other animals. I dont do in cage feeding unless it is fresh vegetables and fruit and the weather is cold or too wet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts