The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 Nubian does and one Nubian buck. I plan to breed them in November. This winter I will be feeding free choice Bermuda hay. Noble goat, beet pulp shreds, and alfalfa pellets 2x a day. My question is now may square bales of bermuda should I purchase for this winter?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They nibble on hay now but have their pasture. I'm going to be feeding them their grain, beet pulp, and alfalfa pellets this winter as well as hay. This is my first year having dairy goats so I'm not sure how to prepare...

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
I bet you would go through at least 3 bales per week. I have Nigerians so can't help you out too much. Will anyone be milking or pregnant?

·
2,203 Posts
My winter herd of 5 milk does, 1 open yearling, one buck went through one small bale roughly every 36 hours.

The kid pen of 4 went through a half bale every 2- 2 1/2 days.

Hope that helps?

·
2,203 Posts
Thank you! Were you feeding grain as well or just hay?
I work with daily TMR. They have free choice hay. I like a 2nd/3rd crop alfalfa mix hay. Their ration consists of ground corn, whole oats, mineral, beet pulp, Molasses, copper sulfate (lacking in my area), BOSS, and calf manna.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have 4 Nubian does and one Nubian buck. I plan to breed them in November. This winter I will be feeding free choice Bermuda hay. Noble goat, beet pulp shreds, and alfalfa pellets 2x a day. My question is now may square bales of bermuda should I purchase for this winter?
6 head of goats is 5 lbs/day X 6 = 30 lbs/day X days you will be feeding hay. Figure in another maybe 1/4 of the above to cover any unexpected problems like bad hay, longer winter, etc. Purchase that amount. You don't say where you are located, so either barn store it or tarp it to keep it dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts