The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I am in the process of preparing to get goats. I was nearly ready last year, but a drought caused hay prices to skyrocket so I put the project on pause. I am a newbie to livestock, so I have done lots of reading on here and in books.

Fortunately I have family who farm, and an Uncle who is helping me put up hay. I am now trying to determine how much hay I need to put up to get 4-5 adult Does through the winter here in Southern Indiana. We will be cutting some grass hay in the next week or so, and my Uncle has even offered to plant some sort of forage to cut for hay as well.

What suggestions would you offer on how much hay I need?

What type of forage should we plant to cut for a higher quality hay? Does sorghum sudan grass make a good hay?

·
8,367 Posts
Plan for at least a bale a day. I have 4 adult does (alpine) in one pen and they eat/waste about a bale of orchard mixed grass hay. I subsidize
with alfalfa pellets. I am in Ohio so we have similar growing seasons!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mine eat and waste on average 6 lbs of Timothy/Orchard grass hay each, per day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in the Chicago area and we were hit by the drought last year too and hay prices did double. This year should be much better with the rains we have had. My 2 girls waste alot of hay, seems once it hits the ground they wont eat it. I do lop branches from my apple and maple trees and hang them in the stall and they love that too. What kind of goat are you going to get?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have any experience with sorghum sudan grass?

I was also planning on supplementing with gleaned corn, still on the cob.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I am not familiar with Sudan/Sorghum baled hay, but a google search of it's toxicity will show you that Sudan pasture can be deadly poisonous.
I'd feed gleaned corn VERY sparingly. Meat goat breeders here should chime in.

·
Super Moderator
59,636 Posts
How much pasture do you have? That is going to help determine how much hay. You are better off with more hay than you need so you aren't scrambling to find hay.

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
Sudangrass X Sorghum makes excellant hay. Goats love it. We used to grow tall sweet sorghum. Some of the cans would reach 8-10 feet. We would get a huge amount of hay and a little graze in the fall. Can almost compare to alfalfa in protein when it is well managed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sudangrass X Sorghum makes excellant hay. Goats love it. We used to grow tall sweet sorghum. Some of the cans would reach 8-10 feet. We would get a huge amount of hay and a little graze in the fall. Can almost compare to alfalfa in protein when it is well managed.
Thanks for the input. I will likely move forward with planting some.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.