Hay nets?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    As my goats stomped on and generally wasted the last bale of expensive hay I bought (we're at $9 a bale!) I was wondering if a hay net would work? Being new to wasteful goat ways, I thought a trough would suffice, boy was I wrong! I sure learned that lesson quick.

So, hay nets? Or any other options?

Thank you!

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

hay nets are very dangerous, they get their heads and legs tangled in them, they can strangle themselves and break limbs.
    my hay feeder is made out of cattle panels with large six by six squares (known as a handy panel, i got at the feed store) i cut it to the size i wanted and put it on an angle with a wood box on the back side.
    beth

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Don't use hay nets!! We used them for awhile, some would stick their head through, if they get wrapped in them, they can get suffocated! That didn't happen to ours, but it's VERY possible if we had hay nets any longer they might have. Also, they're pretty hard to fill and refill and it's a big hassle!! Our local Big R has Equine brand hay bags, these are way better to use, better quality, but more $$$ and they can't get their heads stuck. These are way safer. Or we also use kiddy pools, they're like $7 at toys R us, those work great!! Keeps most of the hay in. :thumb:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is a lady on here, sewitall I think was her screen name, anyway she makes horse feeder bags that are WAY cheaper then the ones you buy in the store - and they are CUTE! She made me some kid coats for my kids that were born in Jan/March!

I have a wood feeder that has slats in the front, but I need to make a top as they pull it from there and waste a bit - however - get a horse - they clean up every scrap that the goats waste - LOL!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I used hay bags for awhile when I was moving goats around and they worked well- however the goats were really hard on them- the bags had lasted years for the horses but the goats did them in within a couple of weeks with pushing at them.
    A feeder where the goats can only get their noses into the hay will minimize the waste.

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i have a hay feeder that i bought on clearance at TSC
    it is "Y" shaped at either end (the legs) and there is wire panels inbetween that form a large "V" to hold the hay
    we put some heavey plastic over top of it and it works great
    there is still waste but we use that for bedding for the chickens/goats/rabbits/etc
    also
    in my barns i have pieces of fencing nailed katty korner and put hay in behind that
    works great
    stil some waste but it gets used as bedding

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Would you all be willing to post pictures of what you use to feed your hay with? I'd love some ideas as I'm not happy with what I'm using right now (which is a metal horse feeder). They jump into the tray and poo and pee and then won't (obviously) eat the hay that has fallen into the trough.

8. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    on another note
    fair is this coming sunday
    they are putting all 6 of my goats in one stall
    ok - it's a big stall - but still...
    anyway
    i have redbarn woven field fence for my goat pasture
    i had a 6 foot or so section just laying around
    i cut it in half vertically and then put the 2 cut ends together and used the wires sticking out to wire it to it self so i have 2 - 4' cylinders
    i will put one in each of the front corners of my stall at fair and stuff hay into them from the top
    will take pics later today and post of what i have up for hay and the waste that is around them

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    OH!

Thank you for all the warnings! I most certainly wouldn't want to put them at risk. Perhaps I could buy a bit of cheap fencing and bend it into a box shape and hang it on the fence? That way they could pull out the hay through the wire?

Yes, please post pictures of your own hay feeders.

Thank you again

10. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Are metal horse hay racks ok? I was thinking about using one for fair next week.

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have a few different hay feeders...I have used kiddie pools, they work well but my goats like to pee and poo in them. I have used hay nets and had heads stuck in the and horns too. I have made my own hay feeders out of goat panels, they also work pretty well. I have used hay bags, they have just one hole and they dont/havent gotten their heads stuck in it. I now use a horse hay feeder that i moddified, it has 2"x4" squares on the outside so they can just get their noses in the feeder....

I know of someone that uses a plastic barrel with a hole cut in it..they hang them up....they work really well for polled or disbudded/dehorned goats.

12. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    goat hay feeder we bought on clearance at TSC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bit of field fence nailed to tree for a 'quick' hay feeder
    [​IMG]
    piece of fence nailed katty korner in barn for a hay feeder
    [​IMG]

(don't know if anyone remembers the quick barn idea from the coffee shop
    cattle panels bent in an upside down "U" with a tarp over it
    well it worked great for over a year but Pig thought he was still a baby and could climb on it
    he made the cattle panels look like "M's" instead of "U's" so we had to build a new barn(not finished))
    [​IMG]

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you for the pictures!

The idea I have should work, hopefully. I'm glad I asked about hay nets before going out and getting some.

On a side note, that goat with the brown and white spots on the black coat is gorgeous!!! :love:

14. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I was thinking the same thing. :wink: Is that a Nigerian in there to,on the right of the second pic?

15. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    that's Arthur
    he was just shipped in from Wisconsin from Eliya
    he was born black with chocolate moon spots
    when i clipped my show goats i tried to clip him but he still has a lot of baby fuzz and my clippers wouldn't work on him
    anyway
    i did manage to get a strip down his back and underneath his black he is, of course, black but under those chocolate spots he is white :shocked: :thumb: :clap:
    i can't wait to see what he matures into :cool: :shades:

16. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    He's cute. :) Thats an interesting color change. Eliya has some really pretty goats,I liked Cowkid and several others. :wink: I think I want a Nigi though. lol

Just went to your website,I like Ivy and Louise alot to. :wink: I like the minis but dont think theres any shows for them around here.