hay planting advice

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by billmac, Apr 13, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I'm going to brush hog and plow/harrow my old hay fields now that I have goats to feed. By July I hope to have 2 pygmys, 2 boers, 3 nubians, and 3 sheep.

What would be the best all around mix of hay seed for planting?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    hard to go past grazing oats

gives you the option to graze it while its green, or bale it, or do a bit of both
    both the pasture and the hay is very safe to feed

I'm trying a little ryecorn in my grazing oats this year

grazing wheat is also another good one

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We are using a clover, rye, and lowland pasture blend (whatever that means) this year. :)

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    How often do you re-seed your hay fields? I have moss in my pasture...I spread lime...should I use a "moss killer" too? (Sorry for hi-jacking your thread :wink: )

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    TSC and some other farm supply store around me offer seed mixes just for pasture. Many actually have species recommendations. Local grain elevators and co-ops are the most helpful.

Are you going to make your own hay, or are you going to turn them over to pasture? I was not sure from your post.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Do you think the goats would like wheat? I have a small area 50'x50' that I could seed with wheat. We get about 300lbs of free wheat every month and my chickens can only eat so much.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, for sure you could use that. You can graze it while it is green, graze it when it has gone to head, or bale it into hay. I use predominantly wheaten hay and I cant recommend it strongly enough. The goats 'do' better on it than oaten hay - bit more protein etc. And there is still all that roughage that goats thrive on. Better for the bucks and wethers than lucerne, and usually a bit more grunt to it than just grass/pasture hay.

You get either 'grazing' wheat, which is awnless, or 'non grazing' wheat, which is awned. Trust me - IT DOESNT MATTER WHICH YOU HAVE. I've been feeding awned non grazing wheaten hay for over a year now, the theory is that they dont like eating it because of the pokey awns, but mine eat it with no problems at all, and I havent had excessive problems with awns getting stuck in eyes, teeth etc. I did have one old angora that got it in her teeth (she only had three left and they were wobbly), after removal and soft feed for a few days she was fine to go back to the hay. I've also used awnless in both hay and pasture form, and havent seen a difference in performance between the two.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Forgot to say, if you are grazing the green wheat pasture, give the goaties free choice access to some dry hay for roughage (not alfalfa) to avoid green feed scours. Ideally you let them fill their bellies with the hay first before turning them out on pasture, or limit the time they spend in the pasture, and increase it slowly (ie 1 hr day 1, 2 hrs day 2 etc.)

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Yes, I always give my goats free choice grass hay anyway and I always at all cost want to avoid bloat. Thanks for all the great info :thumb:

11. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Does clover have those spikey seeds? If so, do they cause damage to the goat's mouth or digestive tract?

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    our backyard is clover. the goats like it alot, and i havent had any problems. so i'd think it's be fine. plus its pretty. :greengrin:

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Our goats love the clover in our yard. It's the first thing they go for.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thats funny, my goats wont hardly touch clover ... maddie was the only one out of about 50 odd that would eat clover hay when I got a bale ... needless to say that bale lasted a while and I've never bought one again! :)