The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else hay prices gone up by a ton, or is it just my state, because I just bought 2 orchard grass hay bales for nearly 60$!! They normal only are 17$, and our supplier said that the price will more than likely continue to go up.

·
8,359 Posts
Everything is going up. Square bales that are normally $3 a bale are $6 for first cutting grass. It's been so wet, hay is hard to come by in NE Ohio.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Oh man you guys are lucky our big round bales are 125 and small squares are anywhere from 6 to 10!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Alfalfa just jumped from $18 to $20 for a square bale in the last week. Orchard grass has gone from $22 to $25 in the last year and that's in short supply. If I have to get it at the feed store it's $29.50.

I go through a bale of alfalfa daily, and orchard grass lasts me a few days. I know that's nothing compared to a lot of you and your herds, but the bagged feed and the minerals on top of that and $60-$80 feed store once or twice a week.... When people ask how to make money with goats, I just laugh!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Alfalfa just jumped from $18 to $20 for a square bale in the last week. Orchard grass has gone from $22 to $25 in the last year and that's in short supply. If I have to get it at the feed store it's $29.50.

I go through a bale of alfalfa daily, and orchard grass lasts me a few days. I know that's nothing compared to a lot of you and your herds, but the bagged feed and the minerals on top of that and $60-$80 feed store once or twice a week.... When people ask how to make money with goats, I just laugh!
Yes it's ridiculous prices but I understand why, we are going through a so called drought here in Northwest Minnesota.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In western PA - I haven't bought any 2nd cut from this year, but I normally pay 4.50-500. I have to call my one hay guy and see about filling up the hay shed soon. I had gotten some of last year's to tide me over till he got this year's off, it was looking good and he was thinking there'd be a lot of it, which I love to hear!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,795 Posts
Oh.....my hay guy is asking $3-4 a bale and its really good mixed grass hay. so prices for me is pretty good at the moment! (yay!). But let me tell ya.. a compressed HALF bale of alfalfa here is $19.00 for A HALF BALE!

·
Registered
927 Posts
See my hay earlier this year was an alfalfa mix and was $4 a bale! I don't think full bales of full alfalfa were over $10, then the drought hit.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I know wish we could have bought more of the mix! But unfortunately we kinda didn't have the room for too much more. Had I known I would have found the room or put tarps on it outside! Regular grass bales are (if your lucky) $6 and up

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,795 Posts
ohh wow! thats lot for grass mixed!

·
Registered
927 Posts
ohh wow! thats lot for grass mixed!
We have barely gotten rain this year! The hay fields are shriveled up and I don't even know if they've gotten 2nd cutting, and 3rd cutting may not happen! We have had a couple rain showers recently so hopefully, it will keep it up and a 3rd cutting will happen.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
We have barely gotten rain this year! The hay fields are shriveled up and I don't even know if they've gotten 2nd cutting, and 3rd cutting may not happen! We have had a couple rain showers recently so hopefully, it will keep it up and a 3rd cutting will happen.
Hoping they get that 3rd cutting!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It's going up here too. $20 a bale of alfalfa and last mixed grass bske wad $8.50. My old hay guy passed away from covid and replacement hay people hard to find. Drove over an hour to buy $7 a bale hay but fuel cost wad easier to pay local 8.50 instead of driving that far with fuel prices

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea they don't think our area will be getting an more cuttings which is why the prices are going up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts