The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was another bad year for hay, at least 2nd cut, which the girls really like. I have two local farmers that I buy from, I honestly don't know what the mix is, but the girls love it. One farmer was able to give me 16 of his 2nd cut, oh, this is the gold standard of hay! If I ate hay, I'd be all over it, and the girls just love it. They eat it like I'm starving them when I give it to them, but I'm trying to keep it for when it gets really cold and bad out, I have 1st cut that I've been trying to use more of during nice times. Some of it is more long-stemmed and they don't like it as much, so more is wasted. I called the 2nd local farmer and he had some 2nd cut, but it's nowhere near as good as the 1st farmer's. The girls like it, but I keep asking around to see if anyone has any. I figured if I could get another 20 bales, I'd be feeling good about the winter.

I asked a friend that has horses and he said he knows someone that has an alfalfa mix for sale, which I figured would be fine for goats, likely in smaller feedings, maybe mixed with the 1st cut, possibly. Then he said he might know someone that has timothy mixed with something else I can't recall. I figured if they feed it to the horses, it'd be good for the girls, right? Their only job in life is to be happy, healthy goats - no showing, no breeding, no traveling!

I know we all hear the stereotypes of goats will eat anything and we all know that is NOT true! I'd like more in their bellies than in my compost pile, as long as the bellies are safe and healthy!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Regarding mixing...
I have to give mine some alfalfa/grass hay because like you, I couldn’t secure as much grass hay as I would’ve liked (my go to farmers didn’t even get a second cut in this year).
I feed them a handful of alfalfa seperately at night. If I mixed it with grass hay they would pull it all out, to get around the alfalfa stems.
Doing it this way, the last thing in their feeder is those stems and they will eat them if they are hungry.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, seems like I'm on the right track! I've fed them a bit of all of it slowly, so I could keep an eye on the behavior and poop and all was good.

I wasn't terribly worried, I know when I had my horses, we just went to the neighbor up the road and took what he had. The boys were pleasure horses, so again, didn't need any of the extra kick, and they were easy keepers.

I just wanted to double check, as I found out when i got the girls, the transition from horses to goats is not as seamless as I first thought!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the timothy mix was 3.50 a square bale, which seemed really low. My go-to farmers give me a deal, but not that much of a one! My other 2nd cut ranged from 4.50 to 5, which wasn't too bad. Especially when it seemed like it was getting really hard to find.

·
8,187 Posts
Just beware of "goat hay". Some uninformed folks think moldy old crappy hay is ok for goats. Heck, that hay is called mulch hay.

We had a lousy hay year too. Last year I got 130 1st cut round bales and 60 or so 2nd off my field, this year only 90 first cut and 27 second.
I see lots of goat hay for sale. Rained on moldy yuk hay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts