hay question- currently using

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by daisymay, Jan 24, 2021.

1. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    orchard alfalfa mix which is $20 a bale. i believe the bales are 110-115. they weigh more then i do so cant lift them to find out.
    just found some bent or bent,timothy,orchard and ry mix. 48-50 pound bales. first cutting. is a grass seed field so no other grass,weeds in it.. but its 1st cutting. they put sheep on it after cutting for the summer. every few years.
    so it would be $97 cheaper a ton to get this hay . do you think its worth it?? would be for nigerian dwarf goats and a horse. my horse currently eats 2 large bales a week plus grain(but she is almost up to her original weight so will be getting rid of grain)
    the goats i am guessing goes thru 2 large bales a week.
    but im not sure if they would need alot more of this hay vs the orchard alfalfa that im currently feeding.

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    the cheaper one is not a bad mix. If you are not feeding for milk it should be fine. If you are feeding for milk you can add a lil alfalfa pellet if you need to. First cut will be more coarse that second cut and have less protein in it.

I cannot help you on the horse prt though. No idea what their nutritional requirements are.

3. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    the guy said he feeds his bent grass hay to his ewes at lambing as its finer then the pasture mix which he said is more course.

4. Nigerian Dwarfs

Nigerian Dwarfs Member

Aug 25, 2020
    washington
    I have two NDs, we feed alfalfa

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

If this is a grass seed field than this is grass straw, not unripe grass hay.

Your horse would do very well on it, I fed my horses grass straw from a seed farm for years. They need much less protein than goats do.
    Your goats probably won't touch it lol.

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. daisymay

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    Okay thank you, so it’s worth getting a load just for my pony then.