The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
orchard alfalfa mix which is $20 a bale. i believe the bales are 110-115. they weigh more then i do so cant lift them to find out.
just found some bent or bent,timothy,orchard and ry mix. 48-50 pound bales. first cutting. is a grass seed field so no other grass,weeds in it.. but its 1st cutting. they put sheep on it after cutting for the summer. every few years.
so it would be $97 cheaper a ton to get this hay . do you think its worth it?? would be for nigerian dwarf goats and a horse. my horse currently eats 2 large bales a week plus grain(but she is almost up to her original weight so will be getting rid of grain)
the goats i am guessing goes thru 2 large bales a week.
but im not sure if they would need alot more of this hay vs the orchard alfalfa that im currently feeding.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
orchard alfalfa mix which is $20 a bale. i believe the bales are 110-115. they weigh more then i do so cant lift them to find out.
just found some bent or bent,timothy,orchard and ry mix. 48-50 pound bales. first cutting. is a grass seed field so no other grass,weeds in it.. but its 1st cutting. they put sheep on it after cutting for the summer. every few years.
so it would be $97 cheaper a ton to get this hay . do you think its worth it?? would be for nigerian dwarf goats and a horse. my horse currently eats 2 large bales a week plus grain(but she is almost up to her original weight so will be getting rid of grain)
the goats i am guessing goes thru 2 large bales a week.
but im not sure if they would need alot more of this hay vs the orchard alfalfa that im currently feeding.
the cheaper one is not a bad mix. If you are not feeding for milk it should be fine. If you are feeding for milk you can add a lil alfalfa pellet if you need to. First cut will be more coarse that second cut and have less protein in it.

I cannot help you on the horse prt though. No idea what their nutritional requirements are.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guy said he feeds his bent grass hay to his ewes at lambing as its finer then the pasture mix which he said is more course.

·
I'm watching you
22,511 Posts
If this is a grass seed field than this is grass straw, not unripe grass hay.

Your horse would do very well on it, I fed my horses grass straw from a seed farm for years. They need much less protein than goats do.
Your goats probably won't touch it lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts