hay question......mold?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If you open a bale of hay and find mold in one of the flakes, but not all the way through the bale.......should you scrap the whole bale or just the flakes affected???????? It was sooooo wet here this summer that it was hard for the farmers to get the hay dried well before bailing.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It would probably still be ok, just make sure all the mold is out before feeding. I would also probably take a good bale and mix it with the one infected so your goats aren't eating the crappy bale alone.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just remove the mold and go from there -- I use to do this all the time as I would get my hay from a friend who had horses and then I would pick through it and use what was good.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, just use your nose and eyes. If it looks or smells bad, toss the part that is bad. I have had a bale or two that has had a funky wet spot in the middle. Usually from them bailing part of the bale closest to an irrigation source.

Dayna

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I throw out the whol bale. Not worth the twelve or thirteen bucks to possibly make my animlas sick.
    I will go buy a bale at the feed store and replace it even if it is twenty bucks. Not worth a hefty vet bill for one ten dollar bale of hay.
    beth

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also throw aside the bad moldy flake....then smell and look at the next flake....and make sure there is no mold smell.....or powder flying in the air from spreading it apart .....if it does I throw it aside until I get a good one....then feed it.....haven't had a problem..... But if I get a bale that is half mold ...I take it back to the place I got it from and exchange it..... :wink: :greengrin:

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Also, I forgot to add, the guy I used to get hay from would tell me that if I ever had a bad bale to bring it back and he would replace it for free. He was a very reputable hay guy. Not sure how it works for other guys, but that was our hay mans policy.

Dayna

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep, my hay guy told me same thing.......so far it has only been one bale, so unless I find it in more than I won't bother.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    If I find 1 moldy flake I return or throw out the whole bale. Mold spores are microscopic and can infect the whole bale. Not worth the chance I would be taking. I pay $5/bale.