Hay Question

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, May 19, 2018.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hi, so my goats live outside and have a really large run in that is pretty shielded from the weather. But in an extreme situation like a hurricane or something like that, we are going to bring them inside to a stall in our horse barn. In the stall, I need to have some sort of temporary hay feeder that can work so I don't have to bring in their large one that is already secured to the fence. I was thinking of using a hay bag, but only one that is closed like this: [​IMG] What else besides a hay bag would work?

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I used to use these until one of mine got her head stuck. She did not strangle but she did have quite the fit, if I hadn't heard her yelling I'm not sure of the outcome. Some people use a rectangular laundry basket - there are other ideas here on the forum for homemade feeders.

3. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Screenshot_20180519-175942.png

This is something I've been looking into building for my goats. It's just some wood with welded wire stapled to it to hold the hay in. They can't get their heads inside of it but they can still pull the hay out and it can be built as big or small as you want it

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have used hay bags like that with no problem. I would think they would be fine for a temporary situation.

Goats Rock likes this.
  5. aJadeMagnolia

aJadeMagnolia Member

May 17, 2018
    There are different style hay bags out there, the design of that one might not work for every breed or particular goat, depending on how intelligent or cautious they are, whether they have horns, the size of their head, etc. But it is important to keep their hay clean and off the ground.

Here is another type of hay bag I have come across: http://www.thinaircanvas.com/nibblenet/nibblenetframe.htm

The type of hay you have might factor in on what type of hay bag to choose: https://www.handyhaynets.com/blog/2...-use-matters-with-1-hole-slow-feeder-hay-nets

I bought a small rectangular metal retail stand from a store that was going out business, made sure there was nothing sharp on it that could hurt them, and had it welded because I didn't think it was sturdy enough. It has four legs that keep it about 2 feet off the ground and is made out of something similar to goat panel, though the openings are smaller. Hay can be eaten out of all four sides and the openings are small enough that I don't have to worry about them getting their heads in it.

6. yankeedoodle

yankeedoodle Active Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Fraser Valley,B.C.

The only thing with this design is that in them pulling their hay out, they inevitably drop a lot on the floor, thereby causing unnecessary waste. If you do a feeder with a key-hole type opening for them to git there heads in there, than they waste less. Kinda like this one...

[​IMG]

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I know those hay bags! In fact, I have one that I never got to use for my horse! My only worry is that if the goats try to climb up on it (which they do!) that their hoofs would get stuck in the small openings. What else could be quickly used?

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh I like that first feed bag! I don’t think they would get their feet totally stuck in it and not be able to get out. I think it’s floppy enough that they could get their leg out if it does get stuck In there some how.
    I’ve been eating to make some kind of feed bag for my goats when they are in their kidding stall. At first I was thinking along the lines of the first bag with just one hole in it but wasn’t seeing how they could get all the hay at the bottom too. But I really like the link posted for the one. But my plan was to get a old feed bag and basically cut a X in it, as big as I wanted the hole and then sew it open. That way if it turned out to be a total fail then I was out a little thread and a bag I was just going to toss anyways. I already have it figured out for that one bag how I’m gonna make it lol

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I only have one problem with the key hole feeder. (I modified mine).
    If their head is in and at the bottom of the slot and gets rammed from the side, they can break their neck. Plus they are blind to the goings on around them.

10. Kaigypsygoats

Kaigypsygoats Member

Jan 10, 2018
    High Desert, Calif
    This is our feeder. I'm less concern about waste (we use the excess as bedding which goes to our compost) but the wether likes to hog.

Attached Files: