Hay ???s

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GSFarm, Oct 14, 2007.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I found big rolls of hay for $35 each. The hay is grass mixed with corn stalks is this okay to feed to goats?

2. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    It would not be my pick, only if desperate. guess you could get one and see??

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have fed corn stalks in the fall when the garden was done. I would say it depends on how much corn stalks were in the bales.

4. Pinsprings

Pinsprings New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Indiana
    Farmers around us are round baling all of their corn stalks and soybeans after harvesting them. I have been told that the only way cattle will eat cornstalk bales is if they are soaked in molassas. They pour the molassas into the center of the bale.

Everyone here is hoarding hay, some got as many as 5 cuttings this year. But they are holding on to it in order to get really big money out of it when it gets colder. They may be cutting off their noses to spite their faces because people are looking for alternatives out of necessity and if they find a workable solution then the hay won't be as easy to sell this winter or next year.

One feed store here is advertising a hay alternative, I don't know what it is yet but plan to find out.

Another thing that may hurt the hay farmers is that if hay is so expensive, people will find ways of feeding it to minimize waste. And for those who can find no hay they are simply selling out.

Next year the farmers who weren't loyal to their regular customers may find that those customers will no longer need them.

5. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Cornstalks are always fed to cattle around here, my dad used to do it every year. I don't know how well it would work for goats. He always rotated it with hay bales because he said there wasn't much nutrition in the stalks. They did eat it, though.

6. ilroost

ilroost New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    weldon,il
    my farm backs up to a corn field and my pygmies eat all of the stalks and corn leaves that blow over the fence. They seem to like them, but they are like a treat to them as they blow over far and few between.

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Pinsprings,

Hey where are you located in Indiana? I live in IN to. I live in Cass County.

We have lucked out finding cheap hay and storing it. So far the most we have payed is $3.50 small bales. We have 120 bales that are ours. We are getting them hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.

We have a family member that will be selling the hay and he'll sell it to us for $5 a bale, just to us though....Everyone else its $7.00 a bale. (Both Alfalfa & Grass bales.)

About the round bales with corn stalks. You could get one and see if they would eat it...its not my first choice either but if I was left with nothing to feed I would try it.

8. Pinsprings

Pinsprings New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Indiana
    We are in southern Indiana, where square bales usually run $2.00 in the field and $2.50 for good alfalfa. Big round bales are $25 to $35 depending on the quality.

Things have changed this year and it is hard to take when the animals that you are feeding aren't worth anything, people are selling good horses for $75 then selling their hay to make up the difference. We were offered two does the other day for $12 each and turned them down.

9. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Wow, they sell bad straw for at least $3 a bale here. We were happy to get timothy at $9 for a 115 lb bale. Sick. It takes a while for people to figure out that the price of the animals and their products must increase too. It is hard to hang on to them that long.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, I would grab that hay in a heart beat. It would be good to have on had, and have just in case you have nothing. My goats LOVE the corn stalks.
    I feel really lucky this year. I bought my hay 100 bales for $2.50 and about 800 bales for $5.50.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've not come across any hay that has corn stalks baled with it. All the cattle farms in my area flail their corn fiels for either silage or at this time of the year they grind everthing in the corn field and add oats for "chop".If my small supply of square bails runs short I can get a round bale for $25...theres just too much waste and they aren't very easy to handle. As far as giving the stalks to your goats...it definately won't hurt them as long as they are dry. After all it is also roughage.