The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I am new to this forum, but I was a member of gw - under a different name. Anyway, it has come time to get our winter hay yet again. They are selling soft and hard hay. Does anyone know the difference? What kind should I get? I had never heard of this before. (btw: hard is $.15 less per bale.) Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I should mention that I'm feeding 2 pygmy/dairy cross wethers and a 10 mth. old Alpine doeling that we're considering breeding in Jan. Don't know if it matters. :D

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
does the hay look bright and not dull and moldy??? Does it smell good, I feed horse quality hay to all of my goats and mine is soft. They like sort of stemmy stuff but not as hard as pencils.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Only thing I could think of would be nice sleeve or hay that's longer stemmed or a bale that's loose and falls apart. Seems softer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Could they possibly be referring to orchard grass as soft hay? I bought some that was so soft it did not hold together enough to break off into flakes.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I know they have something called compressed hay. They compress it so that is is hard and smaller in size than a regular hay bale. Probably for people that don't have as much space to store it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, it is nice to have such fast answers! I haven't actually seen it yet, so I suppose I will just go and check it out and find out what they are referring to. Thanks everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts