Hay - Soft or hard??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Shazzy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Hey everyone! I am new to this forum, but I was a member of gw - under a different name. Anyway, it has come time to get our winter hay yet again. They are selling soft and hard hay. Does anyone know the difference? What kind should I get? I had never heard of this before. (btw: hard is $.15 less per bale.) Thanks for any advice!

2. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Maybe I should mention that I'm feeding 2 pygmy/dairy cross wethers and a 10 mth. old Alpine doeling that we're considering breeding in Jan. Don't know if it matters. :D

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    does the hay look bright and not dull and moldy??? Does it smell good, I feed horse quality hay to all of my goats and mine is soft. They like sort of stemmy stuff but not as hard as pencils.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Only thing I could think of would be nice sleeve or hay that's longer stemmed or a bale that's loose and falls apart. Seems softer.

5. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Could they possibly be referring to orchard grass as soft hay? I bought some that was so soft it did not hold together enough to break off into flakes.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know they have something called compressed hay. They compress it so that is is hard and smaller in size than a regular hay bale. Probably for people that don't have as much space to store it.

7. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Wow, it is nice to have such fast answers! I haven't actually seen it yet, so I suppose I will just go and check it out and find out what they are referring to. Thanks everyone!