Hay

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bluecollar, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I feed my goats alfalfa, but I do not have large amounts of alfalfa to put in their barn for bedding. I do have a lot of bermuda hay, would it be ok to use bermuda for bedding and keep alfalfa for them to eat? Would they eat too much of the bermuda, and would that be bad?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I wouldnt use any hay for bedding as it tends to mold when on the ground then they eat it and you really do not want them eating what is on the floor for bedding. Put the alfalfa hay up in something off the floor and maybe use straw for the bedding. If you have bermuda hay also you can give that to them mixed with the alfalfa and they should love it.

3. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Once hay is on the ground chances are good that the goats won't eat it. I let the wasted hay build up and have never seen them even think of eating it once it is out of the feeder! I don't see a problem with it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use the wasted hay from the feeders as bedding.

I figure they waste enough hay way put down fresh bedding?

Just feed them the bermuda hay and use what they waste as their bedding.

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i start out with shavings in the summer & then put down straw in the winter. also in the winter i will let the wasted hay build up as bedding. like needs to now said once it has fallen they won't eat it. goats usually will not eat any thiung they are steping on.

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes goats usually will not eat hay once it has touched the ground although young kids as bluecollar has are prone to eating off the ground more than adults. Bluecollar ask if he should use his hay as bedding and while yes the hay that falls out of the feeder is fine to use as bedding. I personally would not open a new bale of hay and lay it down as bedding for goats. One it is usually more expensive than straw and two it will mold on the ground and can cause problems. Bluecollar was not asking if it was ok to let the fallen hay build up as bedding, he ask if he should use his alfalfa hay and bermuda hay as bedding. If hay is always thrown on the ground for goats and not put in a hay feeder up off the ground goats will eat it, lay on it, poop and pee on it and not think twice about rooting thru it to find a clean peice all the while picking up worm eggs and mold in the process.

7. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    My little ones are not real picky. I have alfalfa up off the ground for them and they eat it. I have bermuda on the ground for bedding and they eat it when it is first put down. They also eat just about anything in the pen too, including dead leaves that fall from our oak trees. I can get big round bales of bermuda cheap and easy (for bedding), but if it is a bad idea I will try to find some wheat straw or rice stubble for bedding.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree with Teresa, what she says is totaly true!

9. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I got some hay this afternoon, should be enough to last for a while. I got it in the tractor shed just before the rain hit. I know, it will probably mold before I use it all, I will have to keep an eye on it.