hay?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok......towards the end of winter I was sooooo low on hay. I found some really good horse (Timothy/Orchard mix) hay but was starting to turn brown and weather......but I figured it would get us through until new spring hay.........so finally got the new hay (also grass mix w/ very little Alfalfa) last week, cutting was late because of so much rain.......it is a bit stemmy, but really nice green and smells wonderful! Guess what? My guys want nothing to do with it :hair: , they had rather eat the browned horse hay that is very fine in texture......I have tried mixing the two hays and they will pick through the new hay and eat the brown hay........what would you guys suggest? I have never had to feed first cut as by the time I started with my goats last year we started out with second/third cut......these guys are such brats!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is there any way... that you could sell that hay.... and get another kind that they do like....?
    I know how frustrating it is ....when they don't touch the hay ...when you know there is nothing wrong with it..... :hug:

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Goats are just not too crazy about 1st cutting hay. I'm feeding first cutting right now also and although they are eating it, they waste tons of it...I am glad I only bought enough to last until 2nd cutting is available.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Really?? That's so weird. We grow our own hay for dairy cattle and ran out of last years hay so until we get our grass field cut we have to use first cut alfalfa which is dairy quality...my goats LOVE it. All our hay is VERY leafy though so it might just be because you're in a different part of the US and it's stemmy to top it off they may not like it. That's really weird to me though. I personally would not feed them for a whole day until evening and then put the new stuff in there when they're really hungry and see if they eat it. It's not going to be to fun to resell so it's worth a shot, but if they still don't eat it then just try and trade or resell for some different hay.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We only bought a small amount because I to didn't want a loft full of 1st cut hay......so I'll just deal until we can get 2nd cut.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats will eventually eat when they are hungry :p so just leave it there until they eat it......never seen a goat starve yet

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Stacey....that is what hubby says! I just hate seeing them turn up their noses to it.....or they flip it out looking for the old hay!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have some goats ....that turn up there noses... to certain hays.....those little brats... that don't eat it .....got sick on me ...because they refused to eat it and I refused to buy more..this was when the weather was cold.......while the big majority finally ate it.....there were a few... that I had to buy different hay for eventually ...yep I had to give in......it really got to be a hassle.... I had to separate the ones that didn't like.... the one kind of hay......So I ended up selling almost a ton of hay.. to a friend for a $1.00 less a bale.... and his horses loved it..... :shrug:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Pam....I was just sitting here looking on craigslist at the hay adds!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what ever you have to do....good luck ...I will pray ....it all works out ....either way.... :hug: