Hay

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Myakkagoater, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I have a cousin who lives in Ky. and has alot of alfalfa sq. bales from this year and the previous year. They were never wet and have been out of the sun since they were baled. I have been using them for about a year now and noticed some of them having some dust in them. None of them ever have anytype of mold on them however, when my herd queen started coughing yesterday while she was eating her hay I thought the dust has something to do with it. I have a feeling the dust is from the low humidity around here and the extreme dryness. Instead of discarding the great looking hay I have started dunking the flakes of hay in water before I feed them. The herd still likes the hay but my herd queen is still coughing. I listened to her lungs tonight with a stethoscope and one of them had a small rattle in it. Could this be from the hay? Or is it the starting of bronchitis/pneumonia.

Tom

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first how is her temp?

If it is fine.... it may be the dust...Allergies.... or a cold....

Is she eating...drinking... and acting normal?

How are her gums/eye color? May be lung worms ....

Any nose drainage.... if so what color ? Any other symptoms?

3. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    She is still coughing this morning a little. She has no mucus from either nostril and is eating drinking and nursing her kids normally. I have not taken her temp yet but will this afternoon when I get home. I looked at all of my goats gums not over a week ago and all were that nice pink that we all like to see. I only have seen her cough when she is eating now that I think about it. Even when she eats her grain. Hmmmmm.

I will have more time tonight to see about her.
    Tom

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would guess she needs a good deworming, even if her gums are pink. Deworm her, make sure it covers lung worms and watch her. I would guess it's not the hay, but you never know. Dunking the hay in some water is a good idea. None of the other goats are coughing like her? Hmmm.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I heard ...they have a fecal test for lung worms called the bearmann test.... if you wanted to see if she does have them..... then treat if needed....coughing can be caused by many different things..... if.. she is acting normal and eating....drinking fine ....taking care of her kids.... and no temp... I'd rule out pneumonia..... :wink: