The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so happy. I found my winter hay and will be picking it up tomorrow and stacking it in the barn. I bought two bails first to see what it was like and decided to get enough for the winter so won't have to worry about it later on..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure this is my first year so I am winging it. I only have four goats right now and chickens,ducks,and guiena hens. I expect to add more come spring but am starting out with these for now.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Where did you get if from? A good price? I have no where else to store hay but our little tent thing.. I want to fill it to the brim one last time before it gets too expensive... I'm guessing I could get another 50 in there...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been watching craigs list but everything was so far away. I found mine by accident and it is close to home. The guy who owns a store here is town has a farm and sells hay. I bought two bails and told him if I liked it I would be back for more. Went with the truck sat. morn and he let us borrow his truck also and we brang home fifty bales.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
That's good! We normally get it from a local guy and his wife.. And their fields produced more then usual this year.. But... The barn he was renting for storage was sold or something so he won't have any for sale after he sells off what he has... He only has room to store at his house for his horses and cow... :( plus his 2nd cut was like $6.25.. Which includes delivery so it's really not that bad...

·
Registered
572 Posts
This year was a fantastic year for us. We were able to put up 300 rounds off of the 150 acres. Not all of the acreage was hayed. We reserved about 100 for ourselves. Our neighbor hays it for us for free. He leases some of the property so whatever we don't take he sells. It works out well. The reason why it was such an amazing year is because last year we only got 86. This hay is irrigated and the goats are always on irrigated pasture. They are fat and spoiled! We run about 100 and they still can't keep up with keeping the pasture down. Not a bad problem to have. Whatever we don't use for the winter we sell in the spring as well.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It has been a blessing not worrying about hay this. Especially since our two tons burned this summer in Black Forest lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts