The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 acre field that we process every year. It is good hay, but wanted to know if I could get some seed to hopefully grow better hay. I live in WA state, 45 min from Seattle. If any of you have done this, how and when do I plant? I've gotten a lot of variables online, but wanted to hear from experience.

·
2,203 Posts
Normally you plant early to mid fall for new seeding.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would contact your local Farm Service Agency (FSA, they are part of the USDA) and see what they recommend in your area. As far as I know there is an extension office in every county. They can even look up your spot of land and tell you based on your soil what will grow best.

Seeding is usually done in the fall, but can also be done in the spring. It really depends on what you are planting. I think it depends on what you are planting if it needs to be actually seeded into the ground or can just be spread over the pasture. They do make seeders that don't require plowing the field.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would contact your local Farm Service Agency (FSA, they are part of the USDA) and see what they recommend in your area. As far as I know there is an extension office in every county. They can even look up your spot of land and tell you based on your soil what will grow best. Seeding is usually done in the fall, but can also be done in the spring. It really depends on what you are planting. I think it depends on what you are planting if it needs to be actually seeded into the ground or can just be spread over the pasture. They do make seeders that don't require plowing the field.
Good idea, thank you:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts