The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found some hay for sale and its orchard/brome/timothy is this good stuff???

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
What cutting? Is it wet at all? Is it nice and green? Does it have a smell like tea?

The mix is fine but the quality depends on how it was baled.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't seen it yet but he has 1st &2Nd cutting and said its dry. Should it smell like tea??

·
Registered
637 Posts
Now that we are back on the subject of hay, can I chime in? In my area yes the local orchard grass bale I bought was fresh green just beautiful (it smells like tea) and the other supplier , sells Alfalfa 2nd cutting (I hear about how alfalfa is more nutrient rich) for $5 less a bale (yes, its also 25 miles further out and my honda only fits 2 bales)-- but this is hay is much more dried out looking, isnt green tinted at all, just looks a whole lot like like the rice straw I use for bedding anyways...
Of the two, should I steer clear of the dried out looking alfalfa?
(I have the alfalfa cubes in bags that I could supplement with...)....
Is orchard grass hay always inferior to alfalfa?....
I dont know who to ask in the area (neighbors dont buy hay for their wethers they eat PINE NEEDLES all winter....

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
The alfalfa is likely cheaper than the orchard grass you bought because it's lower in quality. If it looks like straw, then I wouldn't buy it. Alfalfa should be nice and green on the inside. Sometimes if the bales sit out, they'll become bleached on the outside, but the inside should be nice and green...totally fine to feed that. But if the inside and out is yellow...don't waste your money.

Yes, if you were to take orchard at premium quality and alfalfa at premium quality...alfalfa is a better choice, in my opinion.

Try and convince your neighbors to buy some hay for their wethers...eating only pine needles all winter long is not good for them at all.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The alfalfa is likely cheaper than the orchard grass you bought because it's lower in quality. If it looks like straw, then I wouldn't buy it. Alfalfa should be nice and green on the inside. Sometimes if the bales sit out, they'll become bleached on the outside, but the inside should be nice and green...totally fine to feed that. But if the inside and out is yellow...don't waste your money.

Yes, if you were to take orchard at premium quality and alfalfa at premium quality...alfalfa is a better choice, in my opinion.

Try and convince your neighbors to buy some hay for their wethers...eating only pine needles all winter long is not good for them at all.
OK thanks--
when I find better hay, I was thinking to ask to borrow their truck (they are next to my daughters school 10 miles out, so not really like next door neighbors really) and give em a bale of hay in return... They are lower elevation dont get too much snow so the wethers get forage too (what ever is out there mid winter)....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
A second cutting alfalfa should have a good mount of leaf and smaller stems. If its dry, rough and not green, then its rained on hay that has had to be turned to aid in the drying out of it again. If done right, a rained on hay isnt that much different in quality. But most of the time the grower will over dry it. The leaves tend to crumble into dust when feeding it, leaving just the stick hard stems. At this point, the hay is worthless.

The best way to tell if alfalfa has been rained on is to open a bale. It should be totally green throughout. Yellowing or reddening or even browning on the inside means its been rained on. BUT even non rained on alfalfa can be over dried. Without a glove on you should be able to grab into the face of a flake of that hay and not get painfully pocked by stems. And then smell. A souring smell in the alfalfa means is molding and was baled to wet. A good flake of alfalfa should have the same effect on your nose as a cup of coffee. It just smells great! I dont drink coffee but the smell of a good cup of coffee is hard to bet. Same with alfalfa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts