The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do goats need as much hay as they can get? They are still growing if that makes a diffrence :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Mine all get free choice. I think it is healthier for them :)

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
here too..hay access at all times...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I am one of the few people on this board that does not feed hay free choice. Free choice feeding causes too much waste, has a tendency to cause picky eaters, and wasted hay gives the flies somewhere to breed faster. My adult, standard sized does get 5, maybe 6 pounds of hay per day and they do just fine on it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I am one of the few people on this board that does not feed hay free choice. Free choice feeding causes too much waste, has a tendency to cause picky eaters, and wasted hay gives the flies somewhere to breed faster. My adult, standard sized does get 5, maybe 6 pounds of hay per day and they do just fine on it.
I do the same.. I too have found they waste more and become picky and won't eat parts... *sigh* so I feed twice daily.. Plus they have a whole pen of grass and clover to munch on and bushes on the side to browse on during the day so I don't worry..
And I find I have easy keepers most times and they would get fat! I had to cut back on the hay this fall so they didn't get to chubby for breeding season!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I find it easier to feed pretty much free choice because our hay supplier is SO inconsistent on what we get in each ton of hay (it's insane) it's just easier for me to go out and refill their feeders in the evening the making sure to weigh everything out etc. They don't get any hay at night.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Do they JUST have hay or do they also have pasture? My juniors get hay at night, during the day they clean up from the day before and browse the pasture, which still has a lot of feed in it.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not let them go out now because it is getting cold here already so I have them in thier winter pens they do get a special mixture morning and night

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
With my doelings that are growing is I feed hay and they get no more till its gone. They would waist 70% of their hay if I let them. The only time I'll feed before its gone is if I don't think what's left will last them threw the night. I know with us humans if we want to diet then don't eat after 4 because we won't have enough time to burn it off before we sleep. So I figure if they get full before they go to bed they will pack the weight on. So to your question I guess its a managed free choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts