The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeding my steers a round bale of grass hay and don't know if I can feed it to my goats too. It is a wetter grass hay, it was plastic-wrapped, and is moister than the regular hay I feed goats. Can I feed this to my goats?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If there is a chance is could be moldy (you said it was moist) then don't feed it to them

·
Registered
528 Posts
Goats don't tolerate extra moisture well unless they are eased into it. Usually just scours, but can happen in spring when the grasses are green and damp from rain too. So long as there is no mold the hay should be fine but I would continue with their regular hay as well to help them keep the moisture balanced and not shock their system.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There isn't any mold. My uncle is a very meticulous farmer and if there was mold he wouldn't feed it to his animals.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Is chaffhaye not wet?
There's a reason why I'll never use Chaffhaye again.... A "bad batch" killed several of my goats, and damaged others. I won't use any fermented product with goats. I had my hesitations with Chaffhaye, and I wish I would have went with my gut. Horrible. After that episode years ago, suddenly many breeders switched off of it.

I know some still like it, but it's not worth the risk to me.

Around here, people give the absolute worst hay to their cattle. Like, hay sitting outside for over a year and mold crawling all over. Doesn't faze the cattle I guess, but sure as heck could kill one of my goats!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts