haylage

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Jun 24, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    we get our hay from my brother in law this yr because lack of help we are bagging a lot of it.. can goats eat haylage safely... I am think less might get wasted too-- yes/no/maybe so

Donna B

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ....may I ask ....what that is to ?

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    They can eat it but you have to be very careful that it does not spoil. You have to make sure no air gets to it...once a bag has been opened it needs to be used within 1-2 days. If it smells rotten or moldy, don't feed it.

I have given it before and the goats liked it but it can be tricky to keep it from turning bad...and it can make the goats very ill if they eat it spoiled.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Is it like silage?

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Haylage is chopped up Hay-then it is put in very very long bags to store it.. thier called ag bags- you might have seen then on farms they are very long white bags..

I hear what you are saying about spoiling but I don't see how you could use a bag in 2 days... it is mainly for the dairy cows, but I just thought they (the Goats) waste so much hay that feed this way they might waste less... one web site I read said as long as it was green and not black and smell like Amonia you are good... comments!

Donna B

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    eh..I think if I had the choice I would stick with hay.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    If you're making a bunch of it you only really have to worry about the stuff on the top that gets exposed to air...once exposed it tends to spoil quickly. When I've made it, I used 30 gal trash bags and once opened the stuff had to be used within a couple days because when you are dealing with such a small amount air gets to pretty much all of it as soon as you open the bag. In a Large dairy operation, that would not be an issue.

9. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    cool beans I am going to try it always make sure we get the stuff off the bottom

Thank you

Donna B

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    if you were using trash bags, how would you make sure they were sealed properly?? I have shut off one of our paddocks for hay but the weather here in Ireland is always iffy... and if I could experiment with a few bags of haylage it would be interesting to see how it works - I could manage trash bags no problem, getting the proper bags might not be possible. If I had a way to properly SEAL them, that is! How long would they keep???

LW

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I personally wouldn't use it ....I would rather stick with regular hay.....it is safer that way..... :wink:

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I personally wouldn't feed it because it is like silage, I would be worried about listeriosis.