He never...stops...yelling.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Erin80, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    We have three 13 week old Nigerian Dwarfs. Two wethers and a doeling. One of the wethers was a bottle baby. They have been living with us for a month now and to say they’ve bonded is putting it lightly. Lol. As soon as we leave, they all start full on yelling. Eventually the wether and doeling that were not bottle babies settle and go back to eating hay. The wether that was a bottle baby however just yells and yells (he currently has a high pitched voice from yelling so much). If he catches sight of us through a window, he starts. If we go outside to put something in the recycling, he starts. If he hears any sound at all that could possibly resemble the sound of a human, he starts yelling and does not stop.

I’m wondering if this is a kid thing? Or is this how goats are all the time? If so, we may need a new set up not so close to the house. They are adorable and we love them but the constant screaming is crazy!!

Feira426 and MadHouse like this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I don’t have bottle babies, but I still know exactly what you mean. It is a kid thing here, but my buck still yells every time the front door is opened.. They see you as the giver of good things, and will try to get you to come. You may need ear plugs and a firm, tough love attitude to get them to eventually stop yelling.
    But first, you have to accept that they will yell, and just walk away. Every time you give in, it makes it worse again. Don’t let it wear you down.
    A scheduled feeding/visiting “timetable” is easier for them, so they know when to expect you.
    I know how the yelling can make you feel so very bad.
    Stay strong, and eventually they know that it doesn’t work.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

My doe and wether, Destiny and Gizmo are both bottle babies. You need to place them a distance from the home and you need to establish a firm routine with them.
    They love you because you are their herd now. Chevani cannot even play outside without them screaming for her all the time.

4. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    Ok thanks, good to know!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

The only time I had issues with yelling was with my very first goats, when i was feeding sweet feed. It was the yelling every time they heard me in the yard, like you say. I have not had that issue with any of my other goats though (and I no longer feed sweet feed.) The only time they're excessively noisy is when one is in heat or when I'm late for feeding/milking. My herd is mixed, some dam raised and some bottle babies, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Are you giving them treats when you go out?

6. Erin80

Erin80 Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Ontario
    No we aren’t. They won’t eat treats. They will literally only eat their hay and their grain. They are on a feeding schedule morning and night for grain (just a bit), so they know they aren’t getting food every time we go out.

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You probably have a busy schedule but you could try spending 20 minutes in the evening after feeding, sort of like a cuddle time, to make them see that you will give them a scratch and a good talking to. Remember as bottle babies they are used to the close contact, sound of your voice, and your touch.

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have Nubians - that can be quite loud. I only have one that will yell - and was a pain until about 6 months old. I just kept up the routine and ignoring her during screaming. I did spend time with her training her to a lead, milk stand, etc. but I don't reward her screaming - at - all. She eventually gave up - just gives me a 'talking to' and goes back the herd. It did take a while - the crazy thing is that her name is Serenitity and there is nothing in her kid behavior that is serene. (doh)

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is the little screamer?

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  10. Nyjah

Nyjah Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I had a bottle fed nubian-alpine as my first doe. She screamed all the time endlessly and has been the loudest goat Ive ever owned. I didnt reward it, but it was non-stop. My sister and I ended up naming her often my rather whiny mom LOL.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.