The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am just curious how many animals you guys have?

Well I have Goats, Sheep, Llama, Horses, Cats, Dogs, Ducks and Turkey's totaling about: 38.5 right now.

Yup the 0.5 I am counting half of the neighbors dog that thinks he lives here but runs home for about 30 mins a day when their car pulls in in the evenings (since he eats all my food then I think counting half is a fair value :laugh: ). Well this number may be increasing again soon but for right now that is the total number of animals under my care.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KW: there's never too many! ok Yes there can be too many. We never get vacations and sometimes we loose count :laugh: I thought we just had 25 for awhile until we did a true head count. . . Yup I am now the crazy farm lady. It takes about 1.5 hours to feed and I have a check list to make sure everything gets done!

mmiller: we have talked about getting some thing chicken wise for tick business near the house. Was thinking maybe Old English Bantams or guineas. Just trying to figure out which would do better with the 0.5 part of the neighbors dog. He ran 2 turkeys in to the woods, free range now! Also he killed some ducks and the rest that is left will not come back to the house, they stay at the pond 24/7 (we had 30 ducks before now).

What kind of chickens are you thinking about?

·
Registered
122 Posts
We have 4 goats (a tiny number compared to some), 6 chickens (getting 12 more in June), a pond full of fish/frogs/newts, 2 cats, and 4 leopard geckos. Quite the interesting mix! :)

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
We have 3 goats that I know are staying here, 3 goat kids that may not be staying, 6 dogs, 1 cat. 13 not all that many but if you talked to my mom you would think we had 100. At one point we had 5 horses, 2 goats, 10 dogs (no we didn't breed they were just rescues), 6 cats (none were feral) , and 3 fish.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Well, I try not to count as we are way over the 13 *in aggregate* that we are allowed by law. :laugh:
We raise goats, chickens and rabbits. Guesstimating about 84 livestock animals. (Never know how many chickens (one is on eggs right now) or rabbits.) An undeterminable number of cats as they get dumped on us on a regular basis. Probably six are actually ours. A desert tortoise and one Guinea fowl. Several rats and we were just adopted by a stray dog. So roughly in the area of a hundred :shocked: though some are sold and many are freezer bound.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmiller said:
I really like NH reds. I think they are really pretty they lay good and they arent as flighty as some breeds. Ive had them before and really like em.
They are pretty! We are just trying to find one that will be a good fit. So basically anything that can either fend off a mini beagle or hide/run from it and survive while being nice to humans and animals (aka no chasing and peaking us).

I am glad to see other people are pretty high on numbers too.

Oh My Luvmyherd!!! that is a bit over 13! :laugh: We have a friend that rescues dogs (with a rescue group) but where she lives limits to 3 dogs even though she has land. Well needless to say she has more then 3 but takes ones of the same color so the neighbors don't really notice the difference!

LP: Ok so are your standard horses QH's? If so then that gives you 0.5 Standard horses :slapfloor: Sorry bad joke. I only have 2 standards myself (american saddlebreds) and the mini stud at this time. The hubby says they don't work for their keep, so the numbers must stay low. I basically just kept my two breeding stallions and a gelding that was out of my favorite mare. I had the mare until she passed away at the age of 18 (she was well cared for but had cancer). We had one mare that was 32 years old when another breeder begged for her so bad my uncle finally gave in and let us sale her (it was his broodmare/showmare). Last time I heard from the people she was still being shown at the age of 35! She still looked like a filly and had the spirit of one too! This was the only horse I had ever seen that aged that well. Even my old blind horse at 25 looked like he was 15 but not like a young colt.

I really enjoy hearing about everyone's critter family!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
We have 6 goats, 10 chickens, 13? rabbits, a dog, a cat and a half, 2 fish, and I think that is it..... LOL!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
DDFN said:
Oh My Luvmyherd!!! that is a bit over 13!
Yeah, it is rediculous actually. It took us weeks to get that information. We were told none at first but kept checking until some county person found out we can have livestock if we call ourselves a *Self-sustaining Family Farm*.
Everyone out here has animals. We were told that it is a *complaint based* department. So we can do what we want as long as nobody complains. And since pretty much every one out here is breaking some law or ordinence; we feel pretty safe.

I forgot.......we are about to take delivery on about a hundred thousand bees! Boy will we be over the limit. :cool:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J.O.Y. Farm said:
We have 6 goats, 10 chickens, 13? rabbits, a dog, a cat and a half, 2 fish, and I think that is it..... LOL!
i like how its the rabbits ? So are they hard to keep up with!

Luvmyherd: Well the bees are small! :clap: I love honey and bees but have not gotten into it yet. Too many pokers in the fire and not enough hands to use them! Well at my old old place we had a foaling barn right behind the house. Then it was turned into city limits even though it was rural country land before that change. So we were grandfathered in there, but moved about 3 to 4 years ago. Needed more land so we are renting here for now (was suppose to be a rent to own but they changed their minds :( )

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
LOL! yeah they are! we have two that are bred again sooo.... LOL!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Oh I wll have more goats in a week! so we are 6 goats and counting! ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts