Head stuck in fence!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Tonight my little Alice got her head stuck in the fence!! All the goats came up and we were like WHERE IS ALICE?! SO I went over the hill and heard her maaa and saw her laying there (it was dark, but she is white, so I could see her pretty well) on the ground with her head stuck through the fence!! The poor little thing. Kevin and I got her unstuck and she was no worse for wear, but still...

We had ended up getting the wrong fence anyway - with the larger squares, so I feel guilty, but luckily she is fine!

Is there anything you can do about something like this? I mean other than getting all new fence, which is not an option!!

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    My wether got his head stuck in a cattle panel once and has never tried to stick his head through one again. If she was traumatized enough it may not happen again...but some goats take longer to learn their lesson.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Mine will stick their heads through cattle panel, (there's only one spot where its not covered all the way to the top in smaller wire, just on bottom.) but have figured out how to get their heads back out, horns and all.

I hope your baby doesn't get stuck again

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try putting something on her horns so that it extends past the horns -- like across the horns creating tow T's this way she cant get her head through the fence.

The other option is to run a hot wire along the middle of the fence and teach her and the others that the fence is HOT and they dont want to go near it

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey's right, it would be best to tape a piece of a broomstick across her horns, provided they are big enough to do so, make sure it extends a good 4 inches on each side to pevent her from sticking her head thru. If they aren't tall enough for that, a hot wire will keep Alice and the others off of the fence. A 5 mile fencer is pretty cheap at TSC as well as the insulators and wire.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    My step son is having the same problem with 2 of his goats. He finally asked if I would band their horns for him. I brought the does home with me for banding (we have the same exact fencing) and they haven't got their heads stuck once. They've been here for 3 weeks too. So I'm not sure why they always get their heads stuck at their home. He didn't want me to band their horns but refencing isn't an option and the goats will be stuck for 12 hours sometimes when he's at work so banding was the best option for his situation.

Other options are hotwire or taping a piece of dowel/pvc to her horns.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you know it could be what he has on teh otherside of his fence -- goats are always looking for the greener grass so to speak. Also are they board? does he have stuff for them to play on?

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thx for the good suggestions! We got an electric fencer with the two new girls from SC, but haven't got any wire or anything. Kevin figured he'd have to put up a hot wire eventually, but he figured on putting it across the top. I guess we may need one lower too, for the littles!!! LOL

I hope she learned her lesson. Boy did my heart drop when she wasn't with the others!!! and we were lucky she was right over the hill and not in the woods!!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We use a hotline.....they learn... to stay away from the fence... :wink:

We have in the past ...used what everyone is describing putting on the horns.....but ..we call it a dunce hat...LOL :greengrin:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If you don't get the hot wire up quick, do what Stacey said. I have to do it to at least one of my goats every year.
    I take like a stick that is longer then the square in the wire and I duck tape it to the horns. They hate it but once it falls off on its own they never do it again.

Just make sure that the stick it whatever is not sharp in the ends to hurt another goat.

11. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I will have to find me a stick, I don't want her doing it again. And who knows when Kevin will get the hot wire up! lol

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I feel for ya Lawanda. They do look like a bonafide doofus with a stick taped on them but it does work!
    Love the term Dunce Hat, Pam, thats exactly it!!!

13. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    If not a stick, a piece of scrap pvc pipe will do. :hi5:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: :hi5: :wink: :greengrin:

15. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I've used that green plastic netting that you buy at the garden store...I have one wether that's done it twice and I've had to use the bolt cutters to cut him out. Thank God, they are smart enough to wait instead of trying to kill themselves like a horse would!

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    My nubian has a PVC dunce cap. Be careful of the hot wire, because horns can still get wrapped up in it, and can be just as dangerous as the fence itself.

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH my goats get the zap ONCE. then they stay away. I will say that I believe goats are WAY to smart. They will get close enough to the fence, smell and they can tell if the fence is on or not, I guess the goats can smell something about it. SO if I turn tit off to do something they are right there thinking about getting out, but the dog, on the other hand have no idea.

18. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
  19. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    :ROFL: That is too cute!!

Luckily Alice has figured out how to remove her head from the fence by herself now, since she always feels that the grass is greener over on that other side. LOL

I have been waiting for her to get stuck again, but I guess she didnt want to wear the dunce hat ;)

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    too cute.. :ROFL: