Head twirling thing...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 15, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Okay, so I have a little doeling that twirls her head. It kind of looks like a woman flipping her hair, only...dramatically :slapfloor:

She points her nose upward and and twirls her head around. Anyone else have a goat who does this? I know Olivia (Capriola) does, and I have met one other goat who does it. I've been told by two people that it might be because if they had horns, they'd be scratching their shoulders/withers with the tips of the horns. I scratch my doeling just to be sure. Any other theories? :ponder:

Also - she is not stiff or stargazing. Just a quick flip of the head and back to normal.

Oh...and me thinks Stacey never sleeps. :sleeping: She's on the ball! hahahaha :applaud:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a few nubian does that do this. They are from similar bloodlines (hmm interesting ;)), IMO it is more of a nervous tick. Seems to me they do it WAY more when she is stressed, or left out, or upset.
    Makes my neck hurt to watch it if you ask me!!LOL It isnt a problem, just a bad habit/behavior.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Its a goat thing. I find mine do it out of impatience and some do it more when in heat.

Sleep? whats that??? :whatgoat: :ponder:
    :sleeping:

4. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I third the horn theory. My Angora kid does this when scratching her back and sides w/her horns.

Deb Mc

5. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I have one that does it - she deffo does it more when she is stressed - so I think that it is more of a tick thing.

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I have a 9 year old boer doe that does it- She actually pops her neck like we do!!! She has long horns but doesnt try to scratch with em. Just a wierd twist all the way around and you hear the pop pop pop :)

7. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I have had 2 goats that do it. I think they are just streching their neck?

8. pennylullabelle

It's nice to know my goat isn't the only wakko out there :ROFL:

My girl doesn't do it when stressed. I see it the most often when I am with her. She and my other doeling are underfoot and begging for treats and scratches. I'll give a few cookies and love on them. And she twirls her head at me. She is excited, but not stressed...? :whatgoat:

I've also seen her so it at times when she doesn't know I'm watching, so I know it's not just me that makes it happen!

9. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I was seriously going to start a thread on this myself as my POLLED doe has been doing this. She was in heat yesterday and she did it quite a bit for the buck. The only other time I've noticed her doing this is when we are getting their feed ready. I was hoping it was just a cute little personality thing, but then a part of me began to worry that she had a neurological problem :ROFL: So I am glad to hear she's not the only one!!

10. pennylullabelle

Peeps - I half concerned that too! But I was like...if she's got brain damage, she might be better for it because she's a doll...hehehe :ROFL:

Goats are WEIRD! It's awesome! :laugh:

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    When I had mini obers they did that-especially the two oldest milkers. I haven't noticed my munchies doing it so much though. :laugh:

12. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

WOW I totally thought my goats were the only freaks that did this! Nice to know they arent the only weird goats out there!
    My baby seriously did it while she as in her moms belly! When she came out it was the first thing she did!
    And my older doe does the head thing and then trys to scratch her back with her ear! Its soooo cute!

13. TinyHoovesRanch

:stars: AMANDA!!!!!
    I joined because of you lol

14. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    ALL of my obies do it - well, just the girls. The boy is "too cool"! LOL

And the obies at two other farms taht I have seen do it, too. I just thought it was something all goats did...

15. pennylullabelle

Laura - I'm glad you joined! It's really great here :)

On the head twirling thing - It's silly, but at least it's normal! My silly doe was doing it today while we were visiting Hoofin It (Josey/Kat on this board) but no one else at her farm was! Weirdo. But she's so sweet, I don't care!

16. TinyHoovesRanch

YA!!! thanks for telling me about it!
    Lilly does it all the time! I was trying to upload a pic of Lilly but my pics are too big, so I guess you cant see her cute face lol
    :shrug:

17. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Well you know Amanda, my friends always give me a bad time about my strange animals with quirky traits so maybe she was here long enough to become quirky :wink:

18. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It seems my girls do it just for fun. Or maybe they are popping their necks?
    I usually tell people that since they dont have fingers to go in circles around their heads, its a goats way of saying "You're crazy".

19. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    lol. I always thought it was a nubian thing becuase of thier ears! I dont think my Alpines have ever done it before. I think my girls get bored and do it. My youngest, Plain Jane, does it in slow motion ... "turn my head to the side, wait for ear to flip over, there it is!! turn my head to the other side..." she cracks me up. I call her my dumb blonde kid.