The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first it was cute but now her horns are starting to come thru and it's starting I hurt..how do I go about stopping the headbutting while she's young? She's a very friendly goat and loves people but she doesn't understand we're people not other goats lol

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Headbutting and pushing can be tough to break, but will be very dangerous when they're grown up. You're going to have to be tough with her. If she goes to headbutt you, grab her ear and firmly yank her away, saying "NO!" this worked for one of my kids from last year. Praise her when she's not butting you, but continue the ear pulling whenever she does. Ear pulling is how momma goats scold their babies. Butting is a challenge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headbutting and pushing can be tough to break, but will be very dangerous when they're grown up. You're going to have to be tough with her. If she goes to headbutt you, grab her ear and firmly yank her away, saying "NO!" this worked for one of my kids from last year. Praise her when she's not butting you, but continue the ear pulling whenever she does. Ear pulling is how momma goats scold their babies. Butting is a challenge.
Thanks!!! I will deffinanty be trying this

·
14,802 Posts
We've done the ear pull and a firm tap on the head with a loud "NO!" and that has always worked. Sometimes it takes a while. IMO you have to nip this behavior in the butt the minute it starts, cute or not.
We have 1 that used to come up behind me and put her horn stubs against the back of my legs, she wasn't being mean, she wanted me to play, but I had to quickly let her know that wasn't acceptable. They are smart animals and learn pretty quickly. I think the friendly ones learn that being pet and loved on is more important than butting lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts