The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, two of my diary goats escaped and spent the last three nights in the wilderness behind our house. They are back now.

Concerning health, what should I be looking out for?

They are quite skinny after just a few days! Drinking and eating okay. A little scratched up.

Should I be concerned about parasites? Mineral deficits? Anemia?

We feed alfalfa hay and pellets and they forage in a fenced area. What can I give them to gain weight back?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
I dont have dairy. But meat goats. I would check for tics and scratches of any kind. I would give them CD&T..even if its a booster. Do a fecal. Check temp and bottoms of the feet. Make sure no punctures or anything stuck between the toes. Then watch them for the next week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have dairy. But meat goats. I would check for tics and scratches of any kind. I would give them CD&T..even if its a booster. Do a fecal. Check temp and bottoms of the feet. Make sure no punctures or anything stuck between the toes. Then watch them for the next week.
Thank you for your help!
I don't see any reason to give CD&T. Please don't.

Check feet for rocks.

Check for injuries.

Offer electrolytes to really hydrate.

Take rectal temps.

Give some probios and some garlic. :);)
Thank you for your help! Probiotics.. do you use something you made or can I get it at feed store? Will they eat straight garlic or mix it into something sweet?
Also what is the temp checfor?
I don't see any reason to give CD&T. Please don't.

Check feet for rocks.

Check for injuries.

Offer electrolytes to really hydrate.

Take rectal temps.

Give some probios and some garlic. :);)
Thank you!
Garlic-how do I give that?
Probiotics, particular Strain? Available at feed store? We have a lot of ferments and probiotics In kitchen would that be acceptable?
What is the temp check for?
Will homemade electrolytes work?

Obviously we are not prepared. I'm wondering what I can manage from my kitchen so I can give it to them in the morning rather than after noon with trip to store.
We had goats years ago so I think we will get back in the swing of things. My husband bought these in haste then we scrambled to get everything ready and well, they escaped. So grateful for this forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.