The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i really love my goats and i just want the healthiest and happiest goats around. I have had a couple that have gotten sick over the past year and who have died. My fault? Probably. I am still new and have some health questions and preventative things i want to do. Starting from day 1 of birth to just normal routine maintenance. So worms and cocci are the worst major problem i have found out (here atleast) I think I've got the worm part figured out for the most part. I worm at 4 weeks then again at 8 weeks then im going to use the famacha from there. I want to treat for cocci. What is the best way to do this from birth and of purse do i treat this for everyone once a year or more and how much? Also i cant treat for JD right? But what about CL and CAE?

·
14,615 Posts
What is JD?
To my knowlege, there are no meds for CL & CAE. There is a vacine for CL but when tested they show false positive results.
As for worming, the only times we worm are at kidding (dams only) & 10 days later.
Or if an animal is sold at weaning he/she gets wormed because we know that indiviual is going to be experiencing stress.
Its just how we do it.;)
I like to make sure they have plenty loose minerals available with high copper content.
We do do FAMACHA but only as a general indicator. One of my girls has almost red color as normal, others the good pink.

·
Super Moderator
59,718 Posts
Having healthy goats with good copper levels is one of your best defenses. Make sure they have a good loose goat mineral. Make sure copper and selenium are good. A good immune system goes a long way.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JD is Johnes Disease and okay. I cant get the meat maker mineral or i would use it but i use purina wind and rain all season. What extra could i give for selenium and copper? And if any of you have extra time here is the ingredients in the mineral. Is it good enough?

·
Super Moderator
59,718 Posts
I don't see a tag on the mineral.

You can get BoSe from your vet. You can buy Copasure from Jeffers or Santa Cruz. You need to be very careful about how often you give this stuff. You need to figure out when they look deficient. You can kill them with too much of either.

As far as the diseases, you need to buy from a disease free herd and then have them tested.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The eyelid test doesn't work for me. All my goats have light pink and are worm free. There is no preventative for CAE other than bottle feeding and only buying tested negative goats. Vaccinate for CL but only on already tested negative animals. NEVER buy an untested animal. NEVER trust anyone who claims their animals are tested but doesn't have current printed test results. NEVER treat or handle an untested animal off your premises without first sanitizing yourself before touching your own goats.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I need a good, all-round goat raising book FOR DUMMIES. Any recommendations?
Also, my dam (nursing twins and small in frame-- I think she's Alpine and ? saanen) is thin tho she eats like crazy (LARGE lush fenced area... basically free range) and I'm giving her over 1 lb of good grain a day (with milking.) She seems healthy [tho I questioned CL in an abcess she had [no lab tests]... it healed, leaving scar tissue) and is very happy and an excellent mommy... babies are fantastic!

Question 1 (of about a zillion): when should I de-worm and should it be a routine thing? I have 3 adult females (nobody is pg but one is nursing) and the babies are now 7 weeks old.
Question 2: what about vaccines? I'm not very "into" putting un-necessary stuff into my own body nor that of our children/grandchildren and I feel the same way about our farm animals. All are very healthy (we live in northcentral [remote] WA state.) What is best to use and how often?

Thanx in advance for some helpful advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts