The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice on what to give my does before breeding them early Sept. I have them on alfalfa now. I dont have minerals in with them, ran out but its going to be refilled. Are there shots? Supplements?

·
14,615 Posts
Along with free choice alfalfa we do what's called flushing a week or two before breeding, that is, grain them. Not heavily but some. Then cut out grain & reintroduce shortly before kidding. This is for Boers.
We also make sure both doe's & buck's feet are trimmed & a shot of BoSe for selenium def area.
They should be wormed before breeding if needed.
They will need a loose mineral with lots & lots of copper such as SweetLix or Right Now Onyx.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nancy, thank u so much. I had a bad breeding season on my last run. I lost half my herd. It was awful! I will do this for sure.

·
14,615 Posts
Flushing helps release more eggs.
So sorry for your loss last year, have you been able to narrow down the cause?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not really. I am hoping to just be more attentive and learn as i go. I am from oregon , i heard that alot of breeders of all species had a tough year. So i grain them then grass hay them and grain them again?

·
14,615 Posts
Since we have no browse they get 2nd & 3rd cut alfalfa year round. Only the wether gets grass hay.
Right before breeding they get some grain for a week or two but not much longer than a month.
Right before kidding I usually start grain up again & through lactation.
Does all get their yrly CDT booster & another shot of BoSe about 10 days - 2 weeks before kidding.
They also get wormed as soon as kids have had their first few meals & everyone is settled in, then again 10 days later.
I really urge you to take a hard look at management; high loss could be something simple. Or any preventables like kitten or mouse turds in hay or grain.
One year I had 4 out of 6 does present one or both legs bent back. They all made it but I switched up their copper & made sure everyone got enough.

·
1,524 Posts
Mine get grain 24/7/365 but if I am aiming for larger litters, I will start flushing with a higher protein grain (16% to 18%) 6 weeks before breeding and continue for a month after breeding to make sure all the embryos implant and stay healthy.

I make sure they have loose minerals 24/7. Alfalfa pellets for the calcium. My hay is horrible, our haying seasons are wet, so the hay usually doesn't get baled until late July. Thats why I have to grain 365. Alfalfa isn't grown here unless they use it for silage because there isn't enough drying time.

As was mentioned, a good vaccination program, monitor your worm load and a decent loose mineral will go a long way for a good kidding season.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Mine only get grain a week or less before kidding, and after kidding, unless I flush them. My alpines would get too fat on everyday grain.
They do have 24/7 hay though, along with loose minerals, and fresh clean water. Thay also have some pasture.

I vaccinate 1 month prior to kidding

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Here's my personal checklist of suppliments:

~Molly's Herbal pregnancy tonic. Supports strong contractions and fast post-delivery recovery. It really does work, wouldn't want to be without it.
~Double dose them on Fir Meadow GI Soother and DWorm A before breeding, since I won't be able to do that during pregnancy.
~Replamin, once every two months, to be sure they are up on the minerals they need.
~High quality mineral, fresh every day, at all times.
~2 to 3 cups of alfalfa pellets a day (for my Nigerians, when they are on grass hay).
~Thorvin Kelp, when I can afford it.

I'd also trim their hooves and check both parties for lice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts