The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot about reddish tinting to the hair equaling a deficiency. Ruby is obviously NOT the one to check that against, nor is Bree. Tulip is a nice black and tan, though. I wanted to check and see whether you guys thought that the reddish hue to her back legs was a deficiency or just her coloring? It is on both back legs.

I know they are all a nice, shiny coated, and have healthy appetites.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Does she have a fish tail? If the tip of her tail has no hair, then that is also a sign of deficiency. I can't tell by the pics..

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at maps, the one thing that could be deficient in this area is copper. I'll get some more pictures of their tails when I go out to feed here shortly. I haven't noticed a distinct fish tail look.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There doesn't appear to be any hair missing at the end of her tail. The wind was doing what it normally does here today (Wyoming, what can I say? Wind is the constant weather pattern here), and I think it was separating her tail hairs today when I took that picture.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Can I ask where you live? I am also in Southeast Wyoming - Torrington area. As long as my does have a good mineral available 24/7 - 1750 ppm of mineral - I have no problems with copper deficiency or red tones in my black does. It does not look like either of the does shown have a fish tail, either.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live down towards Burns.

They have access to loose goat minerals. If I need to give them anything, is there a product you would recommend at this point? The doe was just bred last week. Should I also give her copper (or any special mineral/vitamins for that matter)?

They are all on a relatively ungrazed pasture (around three acres or so, not grazed prior to fencing it for goats, and they have only been out on it since late-July) for their roughage, and the doe gets her grain at milking time (when I send the kids down to feed the doelings their grain). If they get hay (like on these rainy days we have had this month), they get alfalfa hay.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I cannot recommend a product as I do not copper bolus, nor do I give any extra vitamins or minerals. My girls just get a very good quality grass/alfalfa mix hay and free choice mineral. If we are running short of hay later towards spring, I will substitute alfalfa pellets for 2 pounds of their hay ration. What brand of mineral do you feed?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been giving them Purina Goat Minerals.

Since it looks like Tulip is showing signs of deficiency, and she is the only one to show the hair coloring due to her coat color, am I right in assuming that all three should be treated, since they are grazing on the same pasture and eating the same grain/hay? I can contact the people from whom we got the doe to find out if/when she was last dosed.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have been giving them Purina Goat Minerals. Since it looks like Tulip is showing signs of deficiency, and she is the only one to show the hair coloring due to her coat color, am I right in assuming that all three should be treated, since they are grazing on the same pasture and eating the same grain/hay? I can contact the people from whom we got the doe to find out if/when she was last dosed.
That's what I did. I found out one of my does was severely deficient, as I had no clue on what copper deficiency will do to an animal since I was brand new to goats. I then copper bolused everyone:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts