The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is an Alpine I just got for milking. She is a year old and and not breed. She had good trimmed hoof's and looked healthy and happy. She is GREAT on the stand and comes right too me! I am so excited.

Is all of this information correct?

Does anything stand out to you, positive or negative?

All I need to do is Vaccinate and worm right?

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
she looks adorable!!!! love her!!! looks just like my girl!

I don't know about vaccinations, but if she just travelled, worming is a good precaution as moving can cause stress which can cause higher worm loads.

I would also say to copper bolus...she looks a bit rusty.

·
Registered
443 Posts
She's a pretty girl. I agree with the copper bolus. She looks like my goat Ally that I recently purchased, however your girl is in better shape. I'm still trying to get some weight on mine.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
I agree with the others. Looks like she could use a copper bolus but looks healthy. You can always have a fecal done to see if she has any parasites.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave her positive pellet for worms and I have Purina lose minerals to put in her grain. Do I need copper bolus if I am giving lose minerals and have goat block with copper free choice? I must admit I don't know anything about copper bolus.

Should I give BoSe or is that just for kidding?

I will get a CD/T from the feed store in the morning and like always, record everything I do in my goat book/log.

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
... I have Purina lose minerals to put in her grain.
I would lose the Purina mineral in favor of Manna Pro, Essential, Onyx Right Now, Sweetlyx Meat Maker, or another good mineral. If you check the label on the Purina you will find it contains somewhere around 50% salt, and that is way too high. It will limit how much of the mineral she can eat, and you do not want that.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if you live in a copper deficient area, then you will have to bolus as well as giving minerals.

minerals can be set out free of choice. block minerals are hard for goats to ingest b/c their tongues are so soft they can't lick enough of the block to get what they need. as for the pelleted wormer, I've read that the goats may not eat enough to have a sufficient amount of wormer, and if they're consistently eating it, the parasites may get immune to the medicine in there, which would make it redundant.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The directions of Purina mineral say to give free choice or APPROXIMATELY 1/4 TO 1/2 OUNCES PER HEAD PER DAY. If I am giving the recommended amount in Grain would they be ok? They eat it all.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I use the pro manna mineral, and I still copper bolus... Putting the loose minerals in grain isn't recommended because they typically will not eat the minerals, and will not get what they need. Free choice is best.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
Grain doesn't have enough minerals in it. Many times even with a free choice loose mineral, they still need a copper bolus. If you are selenium deficient, you can also give a BoSe shot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, So free choice lose minerals and copper bolus. I was just afraid of copper bolus as it says not to feed to an animal who's copper status is not known. I was just afraid of an overdose. Is there a brand that someone could recommend or is there only one brand? Can I give one to my large buck?

Do I need to Use BoSe as regular maintenance? I will look and see if the bolus has Boron and Selenium

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts