The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two nigerian dwarf does who are due in the end of August and the Beginning of September, and I want to make sure that they're not gaining weight too fast!

So for feed, they have good pasture for browsing and grassy alfalfa basically free choice, Sweetlix minerals free choice and I give them a couple handfuls of BOSS every few days.
They seemed to gain weight really quickly once they got pregnant - our little first freshener Ivy gained almost 10 pounds in about a week sometime in her first month or two of pregnancy!

Is this normal, or should I be worried about overfeeding? They don't look too fat, outside of the baby bellies that are starting to form.

Pictures from 2-3 weeks ago (they've already got bigger bellies now, and Ivy's bag is starting to fill up!):

·
Super Moderator
58,258 Posts
They definitely don't look fat at all to me. They should be fine. As long as they are keeping up their weight, what you are doing is fine. If they seem to need a little more, 1/2 to 1 cup of grain per day would be ok.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you! They're my first goats so I just don't have any kind of reference point for what's too much weight and what's not.

I'm planning to start giving them extra grain about 6 weeks before they're due!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts