Heat and Humidity

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by RX-0, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RX-0

RX-0 New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Which dairy breeds are best suited for a hot and humid climate? Which ones would do poorly? I've been looking around, but I haven't been able to find any kind of ranking.

My assumption is that the list would look something like this if ranked from best to worst:

1. LaMancha
    2. Nubian
    3. Alpine
    4. Nigerian Dwarf
    5. Obehasli
    6. Saanen/Sable
    7. Toggenburg

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think it all depends where they were raised.

I personally dont know that one breed does better then another in heat and humidity. :shrug:

Mine survive alright, but they dont like it. I think my Oberhaslis actually did better then my ND did.

3. RX-0

RX-0 New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    I've read in several places including wikipedia that Toggenburgs don't like the heat.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Swiss breeds generally don't do well in heat, we have Oberhaslis and Saanens and they don't really like the heat. LaManchas are pretty good with heat. Generally from what I've heard Nubians are the best with heat, and I would assume NDs would be as well because of where they originate from. I prefer Munchies over Nubians though so.............. :p

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I live in South Texas and have the ND, Lamanchas and Mini-Mancha's. They have so far done fine with the heat, we just make sure that they have plenty of water and shade. I do have to say that I have a La-Boer that this year has lost the hair on his forehead by his horns, but I think that is from banging on his stall walls and wearing the hair off.

6. RX-0

RX-0 New Member

Jul 16, 2010
    I just want to make sure they will be happy in these hot and humid Alabama summers.

I see mostly nubians for sale here, but I'm just not a fan of nubians. I really like the lamanchas and alpines.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    It doesn't seem to bother my LaManchas any. They aren't too fond of cold weather though.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    really CrossCreek? Mine do great in cold weather.

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Mine stand around looking miserable in the cold. Of course they are from many generations of hot climate goats. We only have a few days a year that are cold enough to bother them. Many months of intense heat and high humidity.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah that would make sense. Although I was surprised the two goats I bought from AZ last year did great this past winter despite how cold it was :)