The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 does that I am waiting to come into heat. We have a buck with them so hopefully it will be pretty obvious when they start but I would like to know some signs. Also does weather affect their cycle? We are breeding to a buckling will there be too much of a difference from breeding to a proven buck?
We have a Toggenburg doeling that is 24-25" tall and weighs maybe 80-100 pounds. Would it be safe to breed her? Would it affect us if we want to show her in 4-H/ADGA shows?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Weather can affect their cycle. But if they are seasonal, they should be coming into heat now.

Flagging their tail. Flirting with the male. Some discharge.

Depending on the age of the buckling, he may or may not be ready. They may or may not like him trying to breed.

How old is the Toggenburg doeling?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weather can affect their cycle. But if they are seasonal, they should be coming into heat now.

Flagging their tail. Flirting with the male. Some discharge.

Depending on the age of the buckling, he may or may not be ready. They may or may not like him trying to breed.

How old is the Toggenburg doeling?
I have seen a little bit of discharge but they don't seem that interested in the buck. The buck only seemed interested in our 6 month doe. The buckling is almost 6 months old and 27" tall. He has started spraying himself but he doesn't smell that bad yet.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree.. 6 month is way too young..I would pull her from the breeding pen..
My Lamancha was 4 months old last season and serviced 5 does with no trouble...all took. older Does can be picky about the buck they allow to breed them..I have an old Saanen, now retired but refused the advances of a young saanen buck her last season of breeding..had his hiding in a corner of her of her pen..had to bring in my Old faithful buck to get her bred..

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree.. 6 month is way too young..I would pull her from the breeding pen..
My Lamancha was 4 months old last season and serviced 5 does with no trouble...all took. older Does can be picky about the buck they allow to breed them..I have an old Saanen, now retired but refused the advances of a young saanen buck her last season of breeding..had his hiding in a corner of her of her pen..had to bring in my Old faithful buck to get her bred..
Oh well I have a 6 year old that that might be a problem for and then I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. My two year old it seems came into heat but he didn't seem too excited. I will be keeping him with my does until the end of October though so I don't know what will happen by then.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they come into rut does that mean that they are fertile?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yes. they are fertile all year but fall/winter they are more fertile.
as i said in the other thread wait at least another few months to breed her. our first show is in june which means we could wait until Dec. to breed our does for show. you can wait another year and show her as a yearling junior doe. but it means another year of feeding with no return. we did that with one doeling last year and now she is way bigger and ready to breed. Your 4-H leader should be able to get you as much information on goats as you will ever need. However i reccomend that you also get the book "YOUR GOAT". your feed store agway and tsc have it for sure. it is a good basic book.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it Your Goat A guide to raising and showing goats?
I was asking beacause I have heard of cases of infertile bucks. Do you think that that's a possibility?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
THIS IS "YOUR GOATS". A KIDS GUIDE TO RAISING AND SHOWING GOATS BY GAIL DAMEROW. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET IT CHEAPER ON LINE FROM EBAY. THATS WHERE I GOT MINE BUT THE FEED STORE HAS IT. WHY DO YOU THINK YOUR BUCK IS INFERTILE? HE IS NOT THAT OLD AND HE MAY NEED A LITTLE GUIDANCE. wE HAD A BUCKLING THAT WAS ABOUT THAT AGE AND DIDNT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT HE WAS DOING. aLSO IF YOU HAVE OLDER DOES THAT HAVE BEEN MEAN TO HIM HE MAY NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM. I WOULD TAKE HIM OUT OF THE PEN UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU HAVE A DOE IN HEAT. I WOULD HAND BREED HER AND HELP HIM FIGURE OUT WHAT GOES WHERE. ONCE HE DOES THERE WILL BE NO TURNING BACK.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
I was asking beacause I have heard of cases of infertile bucks. Do you think that that's a possibility?
No. He is just very young. Not all males are ready to go at a young age. I don't trust males to get the job done if they are under a year old. Yes they can get the job done but no guarantees.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THIS IS "YOUR GOATS". A KIDS GUIDE TO RAISING AND SHOWING GOATS BY GAIL DAMEROW. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET IT CHEAPER ON LINE FROM EBAY. THATS WHERE I GOT MINE BUT THE FEED STORE HAS IT. WHY DO YOU THINK YOUR BUCK IS INFERTILE? HE IS NOT THAT OLD AND HE MAY NEED A LITTLE GUIDANCE. wE HAD A BUCKLING THAT WAS ABOUT THAT AGE AND DIDNT HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT HE WAS DOING. aLSO IF YOU HAVE OLDER DOES THAT HAVE BEEN MEAN TO HIM HE MAY NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM. I WOULD TAKE HIM OUT OF THE PEN UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU HAVE A DOE IN HEAT. I WOULD HAND BREED HER AND HELP HIM FIGURE OUT WHAT GOES WHERE. ONCE HE DOES THERE WILL BE NO TURNING BACK.
I have that book. I don't think my buck is infertile I'm just a worry wort. I think it might be that he doesn't have much clue of what he's doing. How would you hand breed a doe when the buck is still kind of scared of you? and how would you go about hand breeding?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No. He is just very young. Not all males are ready to go at a young age. I don't trust males to get the job done if they are under a year old. Yes they can get the job done but no guarantees.
what should I do if he won't breed them?

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've got a praise report! We saw him mounting our one doe continually yesterday! So now I've got another question. What is a good way to tell if they're pregnant without having an ultrasound or waiting to see if they come into heat again?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Ultrasound or blood test would need to be at least 30 days from breed date. The earliest would be seeing if they go in heat again. Really no other way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Well I've got a praise report! We saw him mounting our one doe continually yesterday! So now I've got another question. What is a good way to tell if they're pregnant without having an ultrasound or waiting to see if they come into heat again?
souinds like he got the job done if she doesnt come back in heat in 18-22 days she is in all probability bred.:love::D

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ultrasound or blood test would need to be at least 30 days from breed date. The earliest would be seeing if they go in heat again. Really no other way.
Well then I wait. Another one of my does was in standing heat and we watched him breed her. Wow if they both go on there due day it's going to be hetic. I personally think that they both are bred. I'm just going to wait for them to come back in.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
souinds like he got the job done if she doesnt come back in heat in 18-22 days she is in all probability bred.:love::D
I hope so! I'm so excited that he's really acting like a buck. I got 2 bred 2 to go. My goal was to have them kid in Febuary or March and so far I've got end of Febuary.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3 bred! Yay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts