The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you have this down to a science, just wanted to run the basics by you all.

My two Boer girls are not bred and will not be bred, unless there is a wild billy goat out there and jumps the fence. Then I'll deal with it. So they are pets, but as it's more difficult to get them spayed, they are still going in heat. I read a couple things online and wanted to verify this is somewhat accurate.

Their symptoms - wagging tail, don't want to be touched much or at all on rump, more vocal. Seems typical and normal, goes away after a couple days

- Breeding season - Aug-Jan - is there a breeding season or more accurately a time when they go into heat more regularly? One showed those symptoms about 2-3 weeks ago, her sister started showing it yesterday.

- Cycle length - is it usually a couple days? I think about 2-3 days is when I notice the change in them.

Thanks!

kelly

·
Fair-Haven
4,722 Posts
Some does cycle for a few hours for standing heat, some are a couple of days. You can also have a 5 day heat, after you notice the first initial heat cycle. Typical cycle is every 18-21 days, but this can vary depending on your doe. Boer goats can be aseasonal breeders - year round, so they may keep going into heat.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I try to put everything in the goat log I have for them, so I don't have to try and remember. I just have to remember to do it, and this time I got Echo's in it.

Kelly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts