Heat cycles in seasonal breeders

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jay13, Dec 24, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I think I may have figured out which doe of mine miscarried. Vanilli (who kidded last spring) looked pregnant and now looks to be open again :( We have a VERY bossy doe (Millie) who I can't really keep separated from the others unless I pen her up in the kidding stall 24/7 or put her out with the buck. She is currently pregnant (I think/hope) and due beginning of February. Any suggestions? Also, with Vanilli who appears to be open now; will she go into heat this late in the breeding season? She is an Alpine and should have been due around the same time as mz. bossy millie. I really need to have more than one girl in milk this year since I have 2 toddlers who go through 5 gallons of milk per week! Buying milk at the store has been EXPENSIVE this winter! Thoughts, Ideas? Thanks :)

Jay

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I have only ever raised Nigerians, who can be bred all year round...so I don't know about how late she will breed. However, if Millie is pregnant, and the buck isn't one of those kind that is constantly pestering the girls whether they are bred or not, then can you put her in with him so that Vanilli can be alone?

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Seasonal does should come into heat into February so you should be able to breed her again.

4. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Thank you for the helpful advise. I have been watching Vanilli very closely for signs of heat again and so far nothing. Any idea how long after a miscarry a doe will tend to go back into heat?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she should go right back in to her normal cycling. she should cycle into January and maybe into February but no guarantees with Alpines, I know Nubians do as did my Oberhaslis