Heat cycles

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by April2008, Oct 22, 2008.

1. April2008

April2008 New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Hello there. Was wondering how often a pygmy goat comes into heat?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Goats will generally have a heat cycle that lasts one or two days every 18 to 21. :)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The mini breeds...Nigerian Dwarf, Pygmy as well as the mini dairy breeds will cycle an breed year round...with the average does going into heat every 18-23 days....some a day less or more than average....my mini girls vary within a day or so of the average. :wink:

4. April2008

April2008 New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Thank you. I didn't realize they went into heat that often. My doe must be in heat again. She is showing some of the same signs from the 1st of the month.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    There ya go! Today is the 22nd....so she's right on time! A very good thing for you to know should you decide to have her bred.

6. April2008

April2008 New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Forgot to add I have had her since May of this year and this is the 2nd heat I have seen her in. I am not sure of her age maybe 3-5 years old.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My pygmy girls cycle just about disappeared this summer. . . . most Pygmy and Nigerian does will cycle year-round but some will not. So, that could explain why you have only seen her cycle twice since May. My girls are really in heat now and need to go visit the buck soon!! One is driving me crazy - she's normally so quiet but now she wants a "man" - BAD! :roll: The other one had pretty regular cycles throughout the summer but is going wacko now and acting bucky with me!

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    And then you have mine that won't let me know when they are in heat to save my life!