Heat,labor,pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Mary1982, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Day 7 of discharge. No udder. I'm so confused. Not sure why the person I bought her from was so adamant about pregnancy. Does heat usually last a week? Not from everything I've read but I have no experience at all. Pictures are in order up until this morning.

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

That isn't a lot of discharge. I would just keep an eye on her.

Mary1982 likes this.

3. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    I'm keeping a really close eye on her. May be the problem

4. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    They can have a "5 day heat" where they go into heat and then go into heat again about 5 days later, but I think that is usually just if they are around a buck. Anyone have more info about that? If it is heat I would think that you would see other signs like tail wagging. If she is pregnant then it could just be discharge which can pretty much happen throughout the pregnancy (just to keep you wondering if they could be in heat!) but she doesn't look super pregnant... As long as it isn't smelly it shouldn't be a concern, so I would just keep an eye on her to look for any changes in udder or behavior.

Mary1982 likes this.
  5. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Thank you so much for all the help! Here is a pic of her udder area.

Attached Files:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with a lot that has been said.

I see a lot of discharge there, she even flung it up higher on herself in the third pic.

Later term pregnancy they do have a discharge.

Are you sure there isn't a udder starting?
    It is so hard to tell from the picture, but feel it, does it feel like a small pouch filling with milk or flat nothing in there? Sometimes we can feel it before we see it.
    They usually start filling around 1 to 1 1/2 months prior to kidding.

How old is she and is she a first timer, do you know?

mariarose likes this.
  7. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    She's 2. She had twins a year ago. Her nipples are elongated but not sure if they were already like that. Udder feels a little squishy not flat on her stomach. Also not sure how it's supposed to feel. Posting pic. I just hate to not be prepared if she's going to kid soon. I've read of the occasional udder filling up after birth?

Attached Files:

8. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    I would shave up the backs of her legs and udder so that you can see it better unless it's really cold where you are. The udder usually gets really full just before or sometimes just after birth, but it will be developing before that. Just not filled all the way up if that makes sense.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

She has a lot of hair there for me to really tell.

If it is not flat, but feels like something is in there, she is beginning to fill.
    Periodically check her, she should continue to fill if she has begun. After a while, you will see it by looking.

It kinda feels like a small pouch of milk, soft filled with skin around it.
    At first, it is small, but has a pouch, not flat feeling. Hope that makes sense. ;)

10. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    That's exactly how it feels. Like a little pouch. Kinda squishy.

11. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Keaau Hawaii
    Also, be careful. If you touch the udder area too much it can start to fill even if she's not pregnant (I've had that happen from being too nosey lol).

Mary1982 likes this.
  12. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks for the tip. Sounds exactly like me!

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she has some in there, she is beginning to fill.
    Feeling to check, I never had them fill up with milk because of it. I don't check daily, it was like a couple of weeks later or so. But, it doesn't take that long before you actually see it from a distance after they begin to fill. ;)

14. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    IMG_2787.JPG Can anyone tell me if this is considered open like heat? Also, has anyone tried a urine pregnancy test? If so was it accurate?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM
  15. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    If I saw that and hadn't seen any of your other posts, I would think she was in heat. However, knowing that she has had discharge for many days, I would think pregnancy. Usually if they are in heat they wag their tail a lot. If you know of someone with a buck (maybe the person you got her from) they can make a buck rag by rubbing a rag all over him and then putting it in a ziplock for you, and then you can let her smell it and see if she reacts. If a doe is in heat she will usually have a strong reaction to smelling a buck... Just trying to think of some more things for you to try. It's so hard when you haven't had her long enough to know what is normal for that particular doe!

Goat_Scout and Mary1982 like this.
  16. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    I bought her and her mate at the same time but they have been separated since I bought them by a large distance, like acres, with electric fences for safety from predators. Should I bring him around her to see how she acts?

17. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    @Mary1982 I forget the back story on this doe. How long have you owned her, and what were you told concerning her being bred before you got her?

Mary1982 likes this.
  18. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Oh yeah I would do that! If she starts wagging her tail like crazy when she gets near him then you know she is in heat.

Mary1982 likes this.
  19. cbrossard

cbrossard Active Member

Oct 4, 2014
    That's the easiest way to tell. If my girls go hang by the buck fence then they are in heat! The rest of the time they just treat him like any other goat.

Mary1982 likes this.
  20. Mary1982

Mary1982 Member

Oct 10, 2017
    I've had her two weeks and was told they were almost certain she's pregnant but no idea on the due date because she had been in a field with a buck.