The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a little Pygmy who I witness being bred while showing signs of heat in October. She hasn't gone into heat since, so I assumed she took. Yesterday morning when I let them out I saw some goo on her tail, and she spent the day whipping that tail around and shaking her rear at my little Pygmy buck, and sure enough, she stood to be bred. So this morning when I let them out her tail has lots of bloody goo on it, her vuvla is swollen, and she's still whipping that tail and giving my buck that come hither look.

I've looked everywhere and see no signs of an aborted kid, but I know at two months there wouldn't be much to see. Absolutely no udder development. She's acting normally, eating, running around, etc. I would absolutely say heat, except for the bleeding....has anyone seen bleeding with heat in their girls? I lost a doe during kidding in August and am sooo nervous (and probably over reacting) about any signs of unwell, esp when it comes to mamas and babies. Help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went out and got a rectal temp of 101.5, so I'm assuming it's not an infection of some sort or she'd have fever. That said, I'll still temp her again before bed tonight just to make sure. There's more mucusy blood on her legs now. I went ahead and cleaned out the goat house so that I could thoroughly check for signs of miscarriage, and all I found was a bit of mucusy blood on a piece of straw where she was sleeping. I've walked the entire yard in a grid pattern and see nothing. She's browsing around with the others, showing no signs of illness (healthy poop, acting normally, normal temp), and still showing strong signs of heat - I actually took some video on my ipad a bit ago and will upload it just to have someone else confirm that I am seeing heat signs in her. I'm at a loss...dh thinks I should give her a shot of penicillin just to cover us in case of infection, but I'm holding off unless she gives me reason to.

Does anyone have ANY thoughts on what might be going on? I would say this just might be a heat thing for her, but she didn't have any bleeding at all in her previous heat that I witnessed....so confused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.