heat? or more serious?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by demmons99, Sep 16, 2010.

1. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    My two 3 yr old nubian mixes had their first babys this spring, and we have been milking for about 5 months now. yesterday am the smaller better milker (Lilly) did not come to the gate and did not want to participate in the am feeding/milking rituals. she was in her pen laying down and making short grunts (alot like the noises made before giving berth), everything looks normal, no bloat, eyes,nose clear...just off her feed and laying down with the grunting. i gave her some baking soda today even tho we have not changed her diet, we did get grass hay from a new source but they have been eating that for a few weeks now. we do not have a thermometer now, dh will bring one home when he gets off work today...but her utter feels warm, ears cool...today the other doe (Tilly) was also off her oats and while she did get on the milk stand after some coaxing, and i just took a little milk to releive any pressure, i could tell she too is not feeling good. oh as of yesterday both had normal poops.
    we've had a cold spell with some rain in the last few days and Tilly has some vaginal discharge. their stall is right next to a yearling buck who is not really showing any rutting interests yet, but does seem to be giving Lilly some gentle attention thru the fence... but i've read when they go in heat some go off their feed...really hoping that's all this is...we dont have a vet in the area and tend to rely on our more experienced neighbors for help and advice.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You say her udder is warm? When you milk her does it look normal?
    Are there any clots, blood, strings?

It would be good to get a temp on her....hopefully you will get a thermometer.... :wink:

Her not eating could be from a tummy ache...which giving baking soda and probiotic paste for 3 days will get her back on track..... sometimes their rumens get thrown off... to pneumonia... but we need a temp to confirm that.... with all the temperature change hot to cold can make them sick....

Grunting...they sometimes do that.... I guess they feel the need.... if they are on the fat side it is more likely... or if they are bloated..

Smell your hay make sure there is no mold in there....

some does might go off feed but most will eat...when it is feeding time...

vaginal discharge....she is probably in season....if you don't want her bred I would move her away from the fence with the buck....their is that chance they can breed through the fence.... if the buck has interest then the doe is most likely in...

3. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    how often do i give them baking soda for belly aches? (i did not know till i found this site about free range baking soda, so we will be getting a dish for that asap).

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    At least 1 x a day.... I give Probiotic paste....and then baking soda.... if you don't know if... they are eating enough of free choice baking soda ....you can put some in water.... mix it and put in a syringe then.... put it slowly down their throat..... :wink:

5. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    I've been thinking and reading and worrying....how does one treat for mold or bad feed? two goats in one pen are acting "off" (tho one more than the other) the other goats in separte pens are ok, they all eat the same hay but differnet feeds (the two sick ones get higher protien feed since they are milking, so it make sense that it could be the feed)...i do not smell mold on the feed or hay but if it is there, what should i do? ...tho i dont think they are showing the symptoms of mold poisoning.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It doesn't sound like mold... if you dont smell it or see it.....

If it was from mold ....Remove the "bad" feed immediately. Give activated charcoal down the throat... Mineral oil may help.

Try the baking soda and probiotic paste.....1x a day for 3 days..... for tummy ache....you should see improvement within the next day....
    Get a temp...to rule out anything else..... :hug:

7. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    positive note...they ate some blackberry leaves and I did see the "sicker" one drink quite a bit of water, and make a normal poop....will do the b.s, probio paste and keep offering blackberry leaves. thanks for your help.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like a good outcome...continue with the BS and probiotics...add some hay as well, the dry matter helps with firming up loose stool.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.....that is great news .. :leap: .....I love hearing that..... and I am so happy to of helped.... :hi5: :hug: :thumb:

10. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    just got temp for one of the goats..the "sicker" one is at 107.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is this the goat getting Antibiotic's already?

you may want to get a vet involved.......

Her temp is really high.....when you took it.... was it hot weather?
    If she was overheated by day.... take it again....if it is a accurate reading ...we need to get her temp down....do you have any Banamine? give it to her.... The La200... if you already have been giving it to her.... isn't working .....can you get Nuflor? She may have pneumonia...... but make sure to ask a vet if you can switch antibiotics.,......safely.

How was her milk looking? Does it look normal?

12. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    it's a cool and rainy day, I've given them two ibuprophens each and have wet towels wrapped around their necks. gave each 3 ml of pen g.

13. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is 1cc per 20lbs.. .SQ with PenG ..should be used for at least 5 days sometimes a little longer... until all symptoms have disappeared, whichever comes first...how much does your goat weigh? You may be under dosing her....if she is a big nubian Doe...mix..

Do not give Oxytetracycline and Penicillin at the same time. When given together, the tetracycline causes a chemical reaction that stops the effectiveness of Penicillin.

Glad the milk is ok.....

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dont give ibuprophen it is not safe for goats give aspirin.

Crush up 4-6 aspirin and give it to each of the goats at least once a day. That temp is WAY to high! normal temp is 101-103

Then put them on penicillin or Oxytetracyline (Duramycin, LA 200, Biomycin for 5 days 1cc per20lbs) (pen should be twice a day 1cc per 10lbs) My vet said both can be given at the same time Pam, I explain I had heard differently but he said no :shrug: I dont fully believe him just figured I would pass what he said along.

16. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    we have been thinking about drying them off, do you think this is a good time...since we cant use the milk for 20 days any way, and since they are not (now) eating much, taking the milk may be a stressor to their systems?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Stacey wrote:
    Post by Liz:
    I was going by Liz's dosage for respiratory.... with her post...as I use Nuflor
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16574&p=202347&hilit=penG#p202347

Yea...h it is hard to say.... :wink:

Hmm.... that is a hard one.... it takes alot out of them to produce milk....but in the same token .... they don't get fed the feed to put on the weight.... maybe someone else can help with that one... :hug:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can start to dry them off if they down start to bounce back soon they will dry up slowly on their own as their bodies way of trying to heal itself

How are they doing today?

- as to the dosage, yah you can do 1cc per 20lbs or 1cc per 10lbs whichever you prefer. I just felt with the high high temp maybe a higher dose would be more helpful to her. :shrug:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww gotcha... :thumb:

20. demmons99

demmons99 New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Olympic Peninsula
    still not too good.
    Lilly has temp still of 106, seen her eat some hay, but have not seen her drink, have been syringing her some molassis water, have some b-12 & goataid on the way.
    Tilly 104 and tho not 100% is eating hay and drinking water on her own.

but now the 6 month old kids have fevers too...
    Daisy has a feaver of 106,
    Rose 105.1
    Lucy is 104...her mom is Tilly so maybe they have stronger immune systems.

have not seen the kids poop recently, no scours on the floor...

Lilly had a clump of the little balls, but no diarhea.

the two mommas share a pen, and the three babys share a separate pen, they all eat the same hay, mommas eat different grains than the babys, everybody drinks the same water.