heat? or not?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ohiogoatgirl, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    one of my does will flag her tail a lot then stop... rinse and repeat. and once in a while she flips her top lip up like "flehmen" is illustrated in "raising goats for milk and meat by rosalee sinn". she hasn't been bred yet and her appetite doesn't seem to change. and it's not a cycle, just a little here- a little there. so... is this her heat or isn't it? :pray:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Might be....does she have a messy looking tail/vuva area where she is wagging her tail? Is she swollen and puffy there?

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    not pink-er then usual. no discharge that i've seen. she'll flag her tail and do the lip thing for like 30 minutes, then stop, then a day or two later she'll do it for like 45 minutes, then a day or two later 15 minutes. then nothing! it was all within a week and a half... ??????

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She sounds like... she is throwing around her authority to me...Does do act bucky like sometimes......... they will also mount other Does ...to say who is boss... .LOL :wink:

They also do that when in season or.... another Doe is..... if you don't see any discharge...swelling.... it may be what she is acting out on.... :thumb:

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    in one of my goat books it said about "flushing" does... put them on new richer pasture and a little extra minerals and they should go into heat... or leaving the does with a buck will put 'em into heat in about 8 days... thoughts?

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Flushing does will make the Doe produce more eggs... in which... there is that possibility... she may throw multiple kids ..... so if ..you don't want that possibility... I recommend not to flush them ..... Flushing is meant really for... AI breeding's.... to collect more eggs from the Doe.... :wink:

7. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i think i'll do it b/c i think her dam and grand-dam both had kiddings of one at a time. so if i flush her maybe she'll have twins.
    borrowing the buck dec. 3- 13 so kidding will be about may 2- 12! can't wait!!!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California