Heat or pregnant?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Smelly2005au, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    Hi all ... I am very new to all things Goat. we just purchased goats about 2 weeks ago, I was told the male is working. but the female isnt. I dont know anything much about goats especially nothing to do with breeding. The other day My buck (George) Was moaning so to speak at my doe, an nibbling on her neck. My doe (Nobby) ... Seemed extra uninterested in him Butted him and kept running away. Thou the past 4-5 days i have noticed she is a bit plump, and that her (not sure what you call it) Pooch? is enlarged. She hasnt got an udder yet thou they are a little saggy and all soft. Im not sure what im looking for or at in ways of pregnant goats. But i also thought maybe shes just on heat ? I have no idea ... any imput would be appreciated. The pics below were taken this morning before she was fed. (alot plumpier after eating hehehe) If more info or pics are needed im happy to get all the info needed
    And thanks for having us (George, Nobby and Me) on your forums will be mighty helpful to us in the future im sure :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    i forgot to mention we were told they are miniature goats. so i do not know what breeds they are at all apart from being really small.

3. takethelead

takethelead New Member

Dec 17, 2013
    North West georgia
    I wish I was an expert at this but I know if the tip of the lady parts so to speak is pointed down rather than at an angle upwards she's bred.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Goat Forum mobile app

4. TheGoatWhisperer

TheGoatWhisperer Nibbles! Not again...

Jan 17, 2014
    Oregon
    How is her bag? Loose or tight up against her tummy? She looks really early pregnant if she is. If she was in heat she would be "wanting" the buck...not head butting him.

5. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    Well thats what i thought when she was bunting him that shes either maybe just coming into heat, or shes already pregnant, Her bag is loose, its not flat against her. But i am only new to goats so i honestly have no idea what is going on. Afternoons shes so immensely fat. i even thought perhaps they are eating to much throu the day. but again i didnt think they would over eat.

Edit: The buck doesnt get as fat as the female.

6. TheGoatWhisperer

TheGoatWhisperer Nibbles! Not again...

Jan 17, 2014
    Oregon
    My guess is she is maybe 2 months pregnant. But I think it might be still to early to tell, mind you I'm no expert, just going by what you are saying. If it is loose and not tight then that is usually a sign that it's starting to grow down there lol

7. 4seasonsfarm

4seasonsfarm New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    She looks bred!!:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Goat Forum

8. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    How exciting. I hope so I am not overly fussed about breeding them, but I bet the babies will be to adorable. Specially if they look like nobby. Just love her ears lol.
    [​IMG]

9. 4seasonsfarm

4seasonsfarm New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Oh my gosh I love those ears!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

10. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    Not sure how often goats cycle, but she's a little podgier, and is still denying George, it has almost been a mth now, so I think it's looking like she just might be pregnant.

Does that sound right?

11. 4seasonsfarm

4seasonsfarm New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Yeh a goat cycles about every month or around 20ish days:) how old is she or do you know??

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

12. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    Not sure exactly they said they were both around 8 mths old, and that he was wanting to breed, but she wasn't I have had them just over a mth now, and I haven't seen her allow it at any stage. And the only thing I have noticed was that George was getting happy and chasing her a lot for one day, nibbling her neck and moaning at her, but she would bunt him and run off.

13. takethelead

takethelead New Member

Dec 17, 2013
    North West georgia
    My buck does that to all the girls even if they are bred. Heat cycles are about every 18~21 days for mine so I always keep track but sometimes you can't even tell. In heat she will stand for a buck and pregnant she won't.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Goat Forum mobile app

14. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    Thought i would update the goats :p still no action for poor george, but i think he got his action after all !!! heres some updated pics taken today, Monday 21st, shes definately bigger, and to top it off i felt her udders and they are definately getting bigger now. Her feminine goat parts are looking .. well Bigger also. If someone could tell me at all how long before the baby comes does their milk start to come so i know a rough estimate on how long before i should be expecting something to happen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 4seasonsfarm

4seasonsfarm New Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mine start making theirs around 3 1/2 months, but I hav had one to start at 2 months making a milk sack;)

16. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    We have had them now for about 3 mths. and suspected that they may have been pregnant before we got them. her udders were always a little puffy if that makes sense they were never flat to her belly but today i felt and they are now a whole handful of udder, but thanks, that means i have about 1-2 mths before i start to worry. thats the only problem with buying them this way never know what or when .. lol. But i do check on her as regular as i can.

17. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    Took this picture this morning to update Nobbys progress. im starting to think we are due anyday now ... my poor little girl is sooo huge. Udders are getting nice and big now too. I have felt the baby or im starting to think Babies !!! kicking me today .. so wonderful .. i cannot wait to see what we get :)

[​IMG]

18. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    Oh, my, that is one round doe! Good luck and keep us updated!

Those ears are hysterical.....not normal ears and not really Lamancha ears. Either they were frostbitten as a kid or she has Lamancha in her background somewhere! What does the buck look like?

She's a very pretty color.

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, she is huge! Good luck!

20. Smelly2005au

Smelly2005au New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Bundaberg
    This is our georgie boy. Funny little thing he is lol.
    [​IMG]

Couldnt help but to share this .. Got this the other week when my big boy, Mr bojangles was sleeping. George was sneaking up on him i ran an got the camera thinking george was about to jump on him and in turn Bojangles would freak out jump up etc, but NO !!! The rest speaks for itsefl LOL !!! Love my babies :lol:

[​IMG]