The Goat Spot Forum banner

Heat problems, maby?

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  ksalvagno 
#1 ·
I have had two boer cross babies get sick these last 3 days and one died. They act wormy(wormed last week) and cant walk. Some diareah. Maby a little dehydrated but they drink alot. But one is better today, but he wont eat what do I do? Also he only walks on his knees is this a disease or is it heat problems ? But I need to know how to feed him.

#2 ·
have you taken a temperature or get a fecal done to see what you're dealing with? what did you worm them with? how old are they? any other symptoms?

sounds like it COULD be cocci, but it's good to get a test just to make sure....

i'm not really sure about him walking on his knees...hope someone chimes in about that

#3 ·
Dark runny poop could be cocci...use Sulmet or dimethox...I would also give C D Antitoxin ...pepto to dry them up and sooth her tummy...electrolytes to keep them hydrated...
if you can have a fecal done that would be a good idea..if not start treatment.. it wont hurt...

what wormer did you use and how much? how big are the goats..

#8 ·
I agree...cocci will bring them down quick..if you can not have a fecal done I would go a head and treat using Dimethox or Sulmet..its 1cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5 I believe....

#11 ·
In a nut shell Goat have cocci in them...their immune system keeps them under control, they drop the eggs in their poop...goats eat from the ground where they poop...get more cocci ...stress can open the door to cocci in adult goats and in kids whose immune system is not quite up and running are easily a target...its a good idea to do a preventive treat ment at 3 weeks old...I use Baycox..I give it once at 3 weeks..then treat as needed...some do sulfa drugs and begin at 3 weeks and repeat monthly until kids are about 3 months where their own immune system has kicked started...
for more details..here is a good article
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/coccidiosis06.html

#12 ·
Good advice given.

Cocci and /or worms can kill a goat.

How is the gum color? Pale pink/ white/ dark pink?
will need iron, if gum color is faint.

Also get a temp on them, to be sure, it isn't also pneumonia. worms/cocci can lower immunities.

#14 ·
Im so sorry. :(

#18 ·
You really need to find out what worms you are dealing with before treating. Just giving them a dewormer won't take care of your problem if you aren't using the right dewormer for the parasite that they have.

I would take a fecal in to the vet and have them test it to include coccidia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.