Heat question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Saanens N Alpines, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    I bought an Alpine doe about a month ago who had been kept with a buck for 3 weeks. They were not sure if she had been bred. Today her vulva was a little swollen and red and she had a very slight clear discharge. I took her to my 6 month old buck and he was pawing and sniffing and doing all the buck things at her, but she was head butting him and biting him. When I held her collar he sniffed her rear extensively and bit at it and acted very excited but didn't mount her. Of course he has never done this before, so I'm not sure if she is not in heat or if he doesn't know what to do. I have been watching her for tail flagging and other than right when we brought her home, and only when she was fed or petted, she hasn't done so. I don't want to find out next spring that she was never bred, but am having a hard time figuring out if she was!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If it has been 3 weeks ago ...then she may be in season... they come in heat... every 18 to 21 days..... If you can.... let her run with the buck... that you want her to be bred to....... I would put them together....it is a good time to test her... and see..... :thumb:

3. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Would the buck do all those things to her even if she wasn't in heat? Would she butt at him and bite him if she was in heat?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A buck can indicate and smell... if a Doe is coming in season...they have excellent sniffers..... :wink: If a doe is coming in....but not quite at standing heat... a buck will sniff and may chase her ..... that is why... it is a good idea... to test her daily....until she reaches to the 22nd day after being bred ....if she doesn't stand for him.... then... she is most likely preggo..... there are however some aggressive breeding bucks....... that may bother and bother a Doe that may not be coming in... that is why....... I would test her for a few days..... :thumb:

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    when a doe is in standing heat she will allow the buck to mount...its hard to catch so I would do as Pam suggested and leave them together for a little bit

6. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    OK. I am keeping her in the pen right next to him and will keep putting them together for the next few days to see what happens. She rammed him a good one into the gate so I didn't want to leave them unattended together for too long. He is smaller than she is and it would be his first breeding if she lets him. I could always tell when my Saanen was in heat by the tail flagging and would drive her over to the bucks place and they would breed right away. With this goat being new, I don't know how she acts in heat for sure. Can the does get that slight swelling and redness just form being pregnant? If she was bred before we bought her it could have been anywhere from 4-7 weeks ago.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some does are aggressive towards young bucks even when in season. So give her some time with him to see if she warms up to him

8. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    This years bucklings that I have try to mount any doe in heat or not. they are from 5-9 months old. I think the bucks personality and attitude plays a part.

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our buck runs with our girls, and I remember when our girls were coming into season he would chase them, and more or less romance them but we'd never see him mount them for a couple of days - the girls always ran away. When they were ready, we knew it simply because their rear ends were a big messy, one doe was a little sore, and he had no more interest in them. Once bred his interest stopped completely.

10. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    My buck tries to mount my does when they are not in heat. He chases and chases until he can get them into a corner and will even push them onto the ground and mount them while they lay there. He's a horny jerk so I don't leave them unsupervised.

Just depends on the buck.

11. Saanens N Alpines

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    Decided to take her to an experienced Alpine buck this morning because her heat was stronger. She is bred, so we will have babies in early April:)