The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been in the mid 90's here in MO. and my goats have quit eating all of the feed that I put out. Does anyone know if this could be related to the heat? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
I would offer them plain water and water with electrolytes to encourage more drinking. Then maybe they would be interested in eating more.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm in STL and my boys aren't eating their pellets or hay, just browse.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It has been in the mid 90's here in MO. and my goats have quit eating all of the feed that I put out. Does anyone know if this could be related to the heat? Thanks
What are you feeding them, how much, how often, and at what time of the day? When the temperatures start rising, most animals don't require as much feed because they are not as active as when the temps are cool, and their maintenance needs are lower. I know that the weather this year in my area has been very slow to really warm up, reach and maintain normal temps. Is that the case in your area, too? How are your goats acting? Do they have horns or are they disbudded? Are they laying in the shade panting, or going about their normal activities? What are your humidity levels? Mid 90's definitely qualifies as hot, but not a temp that I would associate with heat stress in an adult, otherwise healthy goat unless your humidity level is through the roof and your goats do not have horns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts