Heat treating?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Crissa, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I was wondering how you heat treat the milk when raising goats on the bottle? I'm planning on doing this with at least Lyrae's babies this year.

2. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I loved my pasteurizer? (brain dead for spelling this am). You can do it on top of the stove but need a thermometer to get to the right temp and holding it there at the right temp (165)??. If I had only 1-2 kids to feed I have done the whole milk, buttermilk, can milk recipe. I don't like to pool milk for bottle feeding as back in the "old days" before all the CAE testing I did have a couple positive does.....milked those does last and used different buckets even.......sterilize the heck out of the buckets...............still will not pool milk to feed kids even if it is pasteurized.
    Sue

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I use a pasteurizer that I bought from Hoegger's. I have heard of some people that use some type of turkey fryers and say they work great. :shrug:

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Okay, does anyone know where I can get a used pasteurizer? Or what temp to heat it on the stove to? I've got some time before I have to worry too much though. :)

5. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    colostrum 135 and hold for 1 hour any higher will cause it to gel
    milk 165 for 15 seconds then cool (okay to go 30 seconds to make sure temp is same throughout)
    I do my colostrum in a quart jar set into my fry daddy. I play around with the temp ahead of time and have had good luck
    I have a pasturizer for the milk which is automatic. You can set up a waterbath with 2 pans like a double boiler heat on the stovetop and set it in the sink to cool with cold water running into the outer pan. Also you can use a candy thermometer to monitor the temp

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    We use a turkey cooker to pasteurize our milk/colostrom. It works great.