The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use heated buckets in the winter? Last year we hauled hot water down and put some in each bucket, but that's a lot of hauling and I'm getting old. lol.

Also, what size balling gun do you all use?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I have some too! Love them! I still bring warm water out to them though lol!

I got mine at our feed store :)

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I use a metal 50 gallon barrel cut in half with a small floating heater. It keeps their water lukewarm all the time.

·
2,203 Posts
Love the heated buckets. We have several 15 gallon ones on the fence line.

ETA:
We have both a calf balling gun and a sheep/goat one. They're essentially the same size, same price, different label.

·
8,163 Posts
Heated buckets are the best invention ever! :) Tractor Supply or any Livestock Store.
Sometimes there are good deals at the end of the season! Walmart used to sell
smaller buckets- I use those in the chicken coop! (3 gal).

·
Registered
242 Posts
I found a balling gun in the dog and cat section of wilco our local farm store , I found it much easier to shove doe there throat being smaller and round on the end and it fits copper boluse

·
1,524 Posts
I am totally afraid of anything electric in my barn in the animal area. I don't even keep the electric line hot unless i am in the barn. Too afraid of fire.

I just haul the water in the winter. I have several 5 gallon pails in my kitchen all winter. Some are water, some frozen solid and some are partially defrosted. I rotate the buckets. I have them next to my wood stove.

I'm almost 60 (ugggghhhh, hate to admit that!) but I still haul water 4 times a day to the goats, horses, chickens and dog kennel. Thats close to 10 five gallon buckets each time. Keeps me young. (hehehe)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hmmm as winter is looming, thought to revive this thread...
We wont have electricity down at the back goat pen so not sure what to do about water given that I am gone 3 days a week (family may try but are not consistent with watering, even the chickens make do with the dogs' water til I get home but they, literally fly the coop and come back in in the evenings to roost)...
So not sure what to do,
except has anyone found a workable solar solution? Just wondering... and where to get it?
I dont think running an extension cord is a good idea (for a plug in bucket) as LGD pup is a notorious chewer and loves chomping cords of all sorts.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts